Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/05 11:30:55 UTC

Draft: board report for 2022 Q4

Hello,

Below these lines you can find a draft of this quarter's board report. I
plan to submit it
before Tuesday next week.
Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Best regards,
Ruben

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (7 years ago)
There are currently 60 committers and 26 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Andrei Sereda on 2022-08-08.
- Bertil Chapuis was added as committer on 2022-10-14
- Dmitry Sysolyatin was added as committer on 2022-11-07

Following our yearly rotation tradition, the PMC has elected a new chair:
Stamatis Zampetakis.

## Project Activity:
There has been no Apache Calcite releases in this quarter. The next one
(1.33.0) is currently being discussed and its scope is being finalized, so
it
 should be released soon.

Apache Calcite Avatica Go 5.2.0 was released on 2022-10-13. This is a
maintenance release of Avatica Go with some dependency updates, bug fixes
and
a new minor feature. This release supports Go 1.18 and 1.19, which are
currently the versions supported and maintained by the Go team.

## Community Health:
The community maintains a healthy status. There has been a generalized
increment in all the metrics regarding the project activity (137% increase
in
traffic in the dev mailing list, 55% increase in opened issues in Jira, 78%
increase in closed issues, 62% increase in commits, 50% increase in code
contributors, 36% increase in opened PRs in GitHub, 69% increase in closed
PRs). This is somehow expected after the slight decrease in the previous
quarter due to the summer vacation, but nevertheless it confirms the
positive
trend on Calcite community health and project contributions.

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 10                  | 10                  |
| 2022                | 11                  | 11                  |
| 2022                | 12                  | 11                  |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 10                  | 4                   |
| 2022                | 11                  | 6                   |
| 2022                | 12                  | 4                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top reviewers in the last 3 months:
+-----------------------------------------------------------+---------+
|                          committer                        | reviews |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+---------+
| Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com>                          | 13      |
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>                            | 6       |
| rubenada <ru...@gmail.com>                              | 4       |
| Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>     | 4       |
| Jess Balint <jb...@gmail.com>                           | 2       |
| Dmitry Sysolyatin <sy...@yandex.ru>             | 1       |
| Volodymyr Vysotskyi <vv...@gmail.com>                    | 1       |
| Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>                   | 1       |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+---------+

Re: Draft: board report for 2022 Q4

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ruben for preparing the report. It looks good to me.

Best,
Chunwei

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,