Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/03/13 19:49:09 UTC

Back-port strategy

With the introduction of 8.5.x, we need to figure out where it fits in
our back-port strategy.

I see the following options:

A: 9.0.x -> 8.5.x -> 8.0.x -> 7.0.x -> 6.0.x

B: 9.0.x -> 8.5.x -> 7.0.x -> 6.0.x
   9.0.x -> 8.0.x

C: 9.0.x -> 8.5.x -> 7.0.x -> 6.0.x
            8.5.x -> 8.0.x

D: 9.0.x -> 8.0.x -> 7.0.x -> 6.0.x
   9.0.x -> 8.5.x

E: Something else?

Given that we will be dropping 8.0.x in ~6 months, I don't think D makes
much sense.

For the same reason, I like A least of the remaining options because it
essentially means another change in ~ 6 months.

Of B & C I think C makes more sense because if there is a Servlet 3.1
specific fix then the fix can be made in 8.5.x and back-ported to 8.0.x.
With B, we couldn't easily back-port.

Thoughts?