Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Lee <ga...@leahander.com> on 2002/07/18 06:04:23 UTC

request timed out

hi there,

I'm using the Apache 1.3.26 http server ,..it's behind a Linux firewall
and it's properly configured...I use DNAT to translate the public IP to
my internal web server, but after that all the request for my web page
timed out....the question is besides configuring the IP address on the
apache server, what else I need to configure?...seems I don't need the
virtual hosts setup......please help

Gary

Re: request timed out

Posted by Chan Kwok Leung <kw...@morgentech.com>.
 Sorry, as I'm only a home user, I just use iptables for my firewall.
But, I guess the problem is that you haven't set the port-forwarding
correctly.

Re: request timed out

Posted by Chan Kwok Leung <kw...@morgentech.com>.
Not exactly that firewall script. Just that example contains the rules
for port forwarding only.
I haven't compared it with the commercial software/hardware such as your
ASL firewall. But, iptables (comes with any Linux distributions) can fit
my requirement. Yes, it's stable.

RE: request timed out

Posted by Gary Lee <ga...@leahander.com>.

RE: request timed out

Posted by Gary Lee <ga...@leahander.com>.

Re: request timed out

Posted by Chan Kwok Leung <kw...@morgentech.com>.
Gary,

Re: request timed out

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:04:23 +0800, Gary Lee wrote:

>hi there,
>
>I'm using the Apache 1.3.26 http server ,..it's behind a Linux firewall
>and it's properly configured...I use DNAT to translate the public IP to
>my internal web server, but after that all the request for my web page
>timed out....the question is besides configuring the IP address on the
>apache server, what else I need to configure?...seems I don't need the
>virtual hosts setup......please help

I have no idea whether these will apply to your problem, but they were
my gotchas.  After configuring my firewall to forward rather than drop
port 80 requests, I neglected to edit the forward conf, telling it where
to send it.

Another gotcha is that my firewall won't accept a LAN side origin on the
WAN side.  Thus I can't connect to my server over the internet from a
machine on my LAN.  There's no reject, just a black hole & time out.

BTW, thanks for finding the word wrap.  That's rare among lookOut users.
Now if you could turn off the HTML. ;^)
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---