Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by crisppy fernandes <cr...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/18 06:46:48 UTC

Is spamassassin 3.0.2 wrked for any one just after install or upgrade

Dev community,

This is to know from developers community is spamassassin wrked for
anyone just after upgrade or install.
Everyday one or other new user complaints abt this behaviour that
spamassassin after upgrade to 3.0.x version not seems to wrk.
After checking the man documents or wiki we come to know that , made
it learn 200 spam and ham then it will wrk. But even then it actually
not wrk. Corpus are not exact things to check for validity as per
sa-learn documentation.
Then is there any other easy way..... using which a novice can wrk
with spamassassin without any need to bother abt learning and all.
After going through documentation i am able to understand that it
learn automatically on basis of its different rules.
But what about users who dont have big load of spams on their servers.

Simply here i want to point out is spamassassin.org should provide any
procedure which will make users wrk easy and they feel happy using
this s/w.

-/Crisppyf

Re: Is spamassassin 3.0.2 wrked for any one just after install or upgrade

Posted by David Brodbeck <gu...@gull.us>.
crisppy fernandes wrote:
> Dev community,
>
> This is to know from developers community is spamassassin wrked for
> anyone just after upgrade or install.

It worked for me, but I had a very simple 2.x install.  No Bayes or
anything.  I think I had to update Net::DNS and a couple other Perl
modules, but I don't remember the details.  (Usually, if I can't
remember, it's a sign that it wasn't too hard.  Major struggles I tend
to recall.)

> Everyday one or other new user complaints abt this behaviour that
> spamassassin after upgrade to 3.0.x version not seems to wrk.

There are some tricky changes that are noted in the upgrade
instructions, including some configuration file directives that changed.

By the way, I think it's considered bad form to cross-post between dev
and users.  Just a pointer for the future.

Re: Is spamassassin 3.0.2 wrked for any one just after install or upgrade

Posted by crisppy fernandes <cr...@gmail.com>.
> To give some light on the
> subject, specificly the SURBLS made a HUGE difference in our case.  For
> the users with not enough spam on their servers, pop a website on goggle
> for indexing that contains one of their e-mail addresses and they'll
> have plenty :-D.

Can you explain this more.

>By the way, I think it's considered bad form to cross-post between dev
>and users.  Just a pointer for the future.

point noted .

--
Crisppy Fernandes

Re: Is spamassassin 3.0.2 wrked for any one just after install or upgrade

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.
It worked well for us, actually, better. To give some light on the
subject, specificly the SURBLS made a HUGE difference in our case.  For
the users with not enough spam on their servers, pop a website on goggle
for indexing that contains one of their e-mail addresses and they'll
have plenty :-D. Seriously tho, just watch what comes the best you can,
and train accordingly.  For those cases where this is a clean domain,
there isn't much you can do to start.  Training based upon what someone
else thinks is spam may hurt your bayes more than help.  As long as you
are using dns tests to start with, that should help quite a bit.

Thanks,
JamesDR