Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/09/03 15:37:12 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Rewritemap External Rewriting Program

On 08/19/2014 10:39 AM, Rose, John B wrote:
> Any experienced users of the external program "prg" mechanism  of
> Rewritemap who use a compiled binary file as opposed to interpreted
> language?
>
> Is there an appreciable performance difference on a high volume site,
> even when the program is simple? Such as the *dash2under.pl *example
> on the Apache documentation page?
>
> Or if the script has a single line executing a "getent"

Using prg on a high-volume site is discouraged, as all requests will be
fed through a single instance of the prg, creating a significant
bottleneck. The dash2under.pl example is just that - an example - and
there are better ways to accomplish what it does ... as there are,
usually, better ways to accomplish things that prg can be used for.

Consider mod_lua as an alternative way to do rewritemap-ish things

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [users@httpd] Rewritemap External Rewriting Program

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Idea: we should consider keeping that prg open as a forked child, ala fcgi.
> Seems like a reasonable improvement :)

It does that part already, but httpd uses a global lock to send
requests to stdin and read responses on stdout.

Re: [users@httpd] Rewritemap External Rewriting Program

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Sep 3, 2014, at 9:37 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> Using prg on a high-volume site is discouraged, as all requests will be fed through a single instance of the prg, creating a significant bottleneck. The dash2under.pl example is just that - an example - and there are better ways to accomplish what it does ... as there are, usually, better ways to accomplish things that prg can be used for.

Idea: we should consider keeping that prg open as a forked child, ala fcgi.
Seems like a reasonable improvement :)

> Consider mod_lua as an alternative way to do rewritemap-ish things

++1

Re: [users@httpd] Rewritemap External Rewriting Program

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.