Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Peter Griess <pg...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/05 19:01:18 UTC

Support for MIME-encoded header parameters (RFC2231)

Hi,

I'm interested in support for RFC2231 MIME-encoding of header
parameters and values. In perusing through the code for
httpcomponents-core (primarily BasicHeaderValueParser) and javadocs, I
couldn't find any reference to this. Does httpcomponents-core support
this, or is support planned for some future release?

If neither, I have code to contribute, but would love some advice as
to the best way to integrate this as I'm not (yet) familiar with the
code structure and design philosophy of httpcomponents. Would it be
reasonable to create a new HeaderValueParser implementation and wire
it in using the preference architecture?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Re: Support for MIME-encoded header parameters (RFC2231)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 12:01:18PM -0500, Peter Griess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in support for RFC2231 MIME-encoding of header
> parameters and values. In perusing through the code for
> httpcomponents-core (primarily BasicHeaderValueParser) and javadocs, I
> couldn't find any reference to this. Does httpcomponents-core support
> this, or is support planned for some future release?

HttpCore does not support RFC2231 headers, nor there are plans to add it in the future, simply because it is out of scope. However, RFC2231 aware header parser / formatter could be a welcome addition to the HttpMime module of HttpClient

http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/httpmime/index.html

> If neither, I have code to contribute, but would love some advice as
> to the best way to integrate this as I'm not (yet) familiar with the
> code structure and design philosophy of httpcomponents. Would it be
> reasonable to create a new HeaderValueParser implementation and wire
> it in using the preference architecture?

I think a better integration point would be LineParser (and LineFormatter), because most likely one would want header values decoded without having to parse them into individual HeaderElements.

Hope this helps

Oleg