Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Allen Schaaf <ne...@sound-by-design.com> on 2014/04/15 09:44:13 UTC

Re: feedback requests

On 3/14/2014 12:36 PM, geoff mehl wrote:
> A friend noted that OO is looking for beta testers, which is
> not totally my cup of tea, but I noticed the feedback request
> link and thought I might chime in.

[SNIP]

I, too, have a bit of feedback. A minor annoyance I've asked
about in the past and never got an answer that works.

I get a lot of documents that have multiple end of paragraph
elements and I have never figured out how to find and replace 3
(or whatever) with 1 to clean up scanned documents and documents
that were deliberately double spaced with EOPs rather than simply
setting the leading.

I wind up exporting to Word and fixing this and then back to OO.
Be nice if I could save this trip.

BTW, the EOP mark is not after a period in most cases in a
scanned document so I can't search for those as a way to solve
this problem.

Thanks!

Re: feedback requests

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 16-4-2014 3:32, Allen Schaaf wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the tip! Just so I'm clear, I would search for ^$^$^$ for
> three EOLs and replace them with a single ^$, correct?
That doesn't work but you can use a combination of:
^$ for an empty paragraph
\p for paragraph ending
\p* for multiple paragraph endings
By the way you can download the Alternative Find & Replace
<http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/alternative-dialog-find-replace-writer-altsearch>
extension which is an easy menu based tool.

Re: feedback requests

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:32:29 -0000, Allen Schaaf <ne...@sound-by-design.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip! Just so I'm clear, I would search for ^$^$^$
> for three EOLs and replace them with a single ^$, correct?

no, search with regular expressions is limited to one paragraph, so you can use only one ^ and one $ in your query. also, in the 'replace with' field the $ character has a meaning different from that in the 'search for' field and the ^ character has no special meaning at all. look for 'regular expressions' in openoffice help for more information.

Re: feedback requests

Posted by Allen Schaaf <ne...@sound-by-design.com>.
Hi Martin,

Re: feedback requests

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
Search for ^$ and Replace with

Re: feedback requests

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 07:44:13 -0000, Allen Schaaf <ne...@sound-by-design.com> wrote:

> I get a lot of documents that have multiple end of paragraph
> elements and I have never figured out how to find and replace 3
> (or whatever) with 1 to clean up scanned documents and documents
> that were deliberately double spaced with EOPs rather than simply
> setting the leading.

the problem is that the find-and-replace function has its vision limited to only one paragraph if regular expressions are enabled, and if they are not, then there is no way to enter the end-of-line character into the 'search for' box. however, you can merge all your text into one paragraph to lift this limitation.

just enter '$' to the 'search for' box and '~~~~\n' (or something equally square to mark line breaks) to the 'replace with' box, then perform in turn the 'replace all' and 'find all' operations and hit the 'delete' key on your keyboard (prepare to wait a couple of minutes here if the document is long enough; you will not see any progress bar, so the program will confusingly seem freezed). after that, the find-and-replace's field of vision is no more limited to one paragraph (well, it is still limited, but that paragraph now contains all the text), so you may replace three consecutive ~~~~ marks with one and then replace them back with '\n'.

another way is to install the altsearch extension:

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/alternative-dialog-find-replace-writer-altsearch

one of its features is that searched or replaced text can contain one or more paragraphs. however, i have never tried it.