Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ryan Clifton <rc...@cj.com> on 2003/07/09 21:31:13 UTC

Adding to the same Keyword field

The Lucene API docs say that you can add to the same Field name and the text will be appended into the field.  If I Add multiple times to the same Field name with a Field.Keyword type, will it make one big Keyword or multiple smaller Keywords in the same field?

Basically, I want to add all the href links on a page into one Field, but I don't want them to be tokenized (Keywords).

thx.

Re: Adding to the same Keyword field

Posted by Erik Hatcher <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
It will make multiple "tokens" within the same field.... just as if you
had used a tokenized field with all the values (and your analyzer split
them in the manner you're adding them).  Does that make sense?

In other words, adding keywords "foo" and "bar" is the same as using a
text field as "foo bar" and using the WhitespaceAnalyzer.

If you want to use a query like a TermQuery on
"http://jakarta.apache.org" then indexing multiple Keyword's with the
same field name is what you're after.

	Erik