Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Carlos Romero Mas <Ca...@uma.es> on 2001/02/12 12:14:13 UTC

Sessions lost when server restart or class reload

When a class is reloaded because you have change it the objects saved on
sessions are lost and all the users connected to that application suffer
that.

Then, one of the more interesting aspects of web applications are lost:
change the application on fly transparently for most users of that
application. Have ever find a solution? I am thinking rebuild on PHP...

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Re: Sessions lost when server restart or class reload

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Carlos Romero Mas wrote:

> When a class is reloaded because you have change it the objects saved on
> sessions are lost and all the users connected to that application suffer
> that.

This is not universally true.  For example, Tomcat 4.0 has the ability to
save and restore your sessions across a server restart or automatic reload
-- as long as your session attributes are Serializable, they will also be
restored.

Many other servlet containers offer similar capabilities -- check your
container's documentation for the details.

> Then, one of the more interesting aspects of web applications are lost:
> change the application on fly transparently for most users of that
> application. Have ever find a solution? I am thinking rebuild on PHP...
>
> Thanks in advance for your attention.

Craig