Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/02/03 00:23:16 UTC

JAXP support (was Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components)

Edwin Goei wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
> >
> > Would it really be that much more work to look in a wrappers component?
> > I'm just trying to keep the number of components to a managable number.
>
> My concern is for the users who will be filing the bugs.  I'm not sure
> they would understand what goes in a "wrappers" category.  I'd prefer to
> have a separate category for JAXP because it's an API that users are
> exposed to just like SAX or DOM.  Maybe we should also have an "other"
> category also for users who are unsure where to place bugs and for new
> components that get added later.

By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
Xerces with Tomcat.
Thanks.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group

Re: JAXP support (was Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components)

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Edwin Goei wrote:

> Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >
> > By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
> > Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
> > If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
> > else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
> > Xerces with Tomcat.
>
> I've already commited the code.  See my other posting.

Great! Thanks Edwin.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
> Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
> If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
> else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
> Xerces with Tomcat.

I've already commited the code.  See my other posting.

Regarding Tomcat, I spoke to someone about that and it does not appear
to be Xerces or JAXP releated, but is a Tomcat classloading issue.  I
think they said it was fixed in tomcat 4 and will be fixed in tomcat
3.3.  The problem is that tomcat will ignore xerces.jar (or any parser
for that matter) when it is part of a web application's war file.  The
workaround is to put xerces.jar in the main classpath that tomcat uses.
At least that was what I was told.

-Edwin