Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/04/28 13:19:43 UTC

[HttpClient] 4.0 release planning was Re: [HttpClient et al] tidbits

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 12:48 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> >> HttpState:
> >> We've talked about that during the High Level Design.
> >> It's good enough for alpha1, but should be split into
> >> it's different aspects afterwards.
> >
> > I do think it is _really_ important to get ALPHA1 release out rather
> > sooner then later. Port of HttpClient to HttpCore is a massive change by
> > itself and is intended to address the most severe architectural issues
> > with HttpClient. HttpState is somewhat ugly but not utterly broken the
> > same way HttpMethod / HttpMethodBase are. Therefore I would rather have
> > more test cases ported from 3.1 to 4.0 API and get the new framework
> > reasonably tested and stable and only then get down to fixing
> > non-critical aspects such as the HTTP state management API.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > What remains to be done for ALPHA1 in HttpConn?
>
> Use of HttpParams and test coverage, as far as I remember.
> The gaping holes I left were in HttpClient. Fixing those
> might of course expose omissions in the HttpConn API.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Hi Roland,

I am currently working on a reverse proxy example based on HttpCore NIO.
Once it is done I could put HttpCore on the back burner for a while and
turn my attention to HttpClient. Would you have any spare cycles for
HttpComponents in May?

Cheers,

Oleg

Re: [HttpClient] 4.0 release planning was Re: [HttpClient et al] tidbits

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> Waiting 5 months just for a _chance_ to get the first Alpha out the door
> is probably too much. I guess you'll have to let me port the remaining
> bits the best way I can. I'll try to be gentle with your code but at the
> end of the day I'll have to do what it takes to get the job done.

No problem. I'll be happy to explain any half-baked ideas that are not
obvious from the comments in the code. My turnaround time for mails on
the dev list is currently up to a week though. In urgent cases, you'd
have to contact me by personal mail via my corporate mail address. I'd
write up summaries of those conversations for the mailing list afterwards,
or put stuff on a wiki page.

> Once
> we have a few public Alpha releases I'll happily step down and let you
> take over and re-write whatever bits you are not comfortable with.

I'll throw in my hour or two of coding between those alphas.
I have no intention of taking over the component though.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpClient] 4.0 release planning was Re: [HttpClient et al] tidbits

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 20:20 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > I would be more than happy to step back and let you complete the
> > refactoring you have started already, if you think you can find time for
> > it in a more or less reasonable timeframe (say this Summer season).
>
> If summer season means July through September... in other words,
> no alpha before October at least... there would be a _chance_,
> but no guarantees, that I can put in enough time.
>
> > I _really_, _really_, _really_ want to be less involved in the active
> > development of HttpClient
>
> I understand. Instead of porting over all of HttpClient, do you think
> you might be able to just plug in HttpAuth and HttpCookie? Calling
> HttpAuth should fit somehow into DefaultClientRequestDirector, see
> the comments there. I'm not sure where and how to keep authentication
> state, but with NTLM out of the picture and digest currently operating
> on a per-request basis, that should not be a big problem yet.
> For HttpCookie, I would suggest a ResponseInterceptor that fills an
> HttpState instance located in the context.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Roland,

Waiting 5 months just for a _chance_ to get the first Alpha out the door
is probably too much. I guess you'll have to let me port the remaining
bits the best way I can. I'll try to be gentle with your code but at the
end of the day I'll have to do what it takes to get the job done. Once

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 19:53 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > I will try to prepare the Alpha1 release of the new code line as a port
> > of HttpClient to the new API based on HttpCore sans NTLM, Cookie2 and
> > multipart POST support. All major refactoring should take place in the
> > post Alpha1 time frame after we have received some early feedback on the
> > first public release of HttpClient 4.0
>
> I agree in general, but I already started some major refactoring with
> the DefaultClientRequestDirector. Please be gentle on that one ;-)
> I hope that I marked with comments all plug-in points for the code I
> did not move over. The refactoring was necessary since the logic for
> building routes is now partially in HttpConn rather than the director.
> That way, the logic should be accessible to NIO and/or Dispatch, too.

Roland,

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 15:56 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > Would you have any spare cycles for
> > HttpComponents in May?
>
> not in a significant number. My lecture runs until June,
> and there's more stuff to keep me away after that.
> Business travel is not likely to stop either.
> I'd like to spend an hour or two per week to write
> test cases for HttpConn. That, and reading dev mails
> once a week, is about all I have to offer.

Cool. Some test coverage for HttpConn would be awesome.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,