Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/13 14:28:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] ARTEMIS-898 plugin support

Hi Everyone,

So I started to implement a framework for doing plugin support but before I
get to far I wanted to get everyone's opinion.  My working commit is here:
https://github.com/cshannon/activemq-artemis/commit/7600204355796405c9482ae8c4fe84d8fbe9b44b

My strategy I'm trying is to just have one interface that a user can
implement to add functionality. Multiple plugins can be chained together by
registering them on the ActiveMQServer.  The chaining is done by just
keeping them in a list so they will be executed in order to keep it simple.
(this is different from 5.x where it uses a delegation pattern to chain
plugins).  The approach is also a bit different than 5.x in that the core
functionality of the broker still wont' be implemented in a Broker plugin.
The plugins will just be executed before/after certain hooks in the broker.

There is still a lot of work to do and what I have is by no means complete,
methods need to be added/modified and there are no tests or anything yet
but I wanted to see what others thought about this approach before
continuing as there are multiple ways we could approach adding plugin
support.

Re: [DISCUSS] ARTEMIS-898 plugin support

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
As a follow up, I'm working on testing out the plugin API by seeing if it
is possible to implement some of the custom plugins I have in 5.x.  I just
want to make sure that all of the methods make sense before doing the PR.
I will most likely end up pushing a PR for this sometime next week.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
It looks good.. I like it...

--