Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Gautam Borah <ga...@picorp.com> on 2004/08/19 08:27:29 UTC

Mail failure information

Hi all,

I have configured James as my local SMTP server. I am running James on a
NATed machine on SMTP port 2525, I am able to send mails from my local
Jmaes server to other mail servers like yahoo.com, hotmail.com etc. But
if I send a mail to a yahoo user wrongly, say I have sent the mail to
abc@yahoo.com and there is no user named abc@yahoo.com, then I should
get a error mail saying mail could not be delivered as there are no
users named abc@yahoo.com.

Please let me know if my following interpretation is right or wrong,

After receiving the mail yahoo mail server finds out that there is no
user named abc@yahoo.com and send a mail back to the mail server which
sent that mail. But as my sending mail server is behind NAT, yahoo mail
server could not send the error mail back to my server. This is the
reason I am not getting the error mails from yahoo.

If I run my public DNS server and SMTP server on a static IP, then the
bounced mail first comes back to my mail server which will send a mail
to my mail id with the bounce mail information.

To handle such scenarios what would be the best way to counter this
problem, any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Gautam

RE: Mail failure information

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Please let me know if my following interpretation is right or wrong

It is wrong.

> After receiving the mail yahoo mail server finds out that there is no
> user named abc@yahoo.com and send a mail back to the mail server which
> sent that mail.

The bounce will be sent to the reverse path, which is set by your MUA,
typically to your sending address.  It is nothing to do with the path taken
by the message.

	--- Noel