Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Terry Healy <th...@bnl.gov> on 2012/05/15 22:18:42 UTC

FSCK / -move and -delete FAIL

Running 1.0.2 on cluster with 10 datanodes. After running stop-all.sh
and start-all.sh following the addition of a new datanode, the NN stays
in SafeMode.

hadoop fsck /  reports several MISSING and CORRUPT blocks, but I have
not been able to continue after trying both the -move and -delete
options. When I run the -move option, it reports:

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException:
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SafeModeException: Cannot create
directory /lost+found. Name node is in safe mode.

In what directory is it trying to create the /lost+found?

What can I do to purge the errors and get HDFS running again?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: FSCK / -move and -delete FAIL

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
If you have decided to take the 'fsck -move' route, then you need to
exit safemode first:

# Exit safemode first. After this, NN will not prevent writes/updates.
sudo -u hdfs hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave
# Move the files to /lost+found (newdir) next.
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fsck -move

--
Harsh J