Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> on 2021/10/06 19:15:21 UTC

Invitation to Contribute to the October 2021 Fineract Board Report

Hi All,

We have started writing the Fineract Board report for October 2021. You are
all invited to contribute here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/2021-10+October+Report

GSoC Interns and Mentors, you can contribute by summarizing your projects.
Ed, would you like to help again here?

Javier, James and others, would you like to write something about
ApacheCon? I have been hearing important things.

Contributors, put in a few words about the wonderful work you do.

We will combine all of these points and submit the report on Tuesday 12
October 2021.

Thanks.
Awasum Yannick.
PMC Chair, Apache Fineract.

Re: Invitation to Contribute to the October 2021 Fineract Board Report

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Great suggestion Kevin. I'll connect up again with sally. A good way to
close the loop on the conversation I'd begun that you had previously
initiated.

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.
I support the report.

Logo ( https://www.fiter.io )

*Javier Borkenztain* *| CEO* *e:* javier@fiter.io
*w:* fiter.io ( http://www.fiter.io )
*m:* +598 97980801 twitter icon ( https://twitter.com/Fiter_io ) youtube icon ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfWztdFtHI3PwaSLAEcwTNQ ) linkedin icon ( https://www.linkedin.com/company/fiter-io )

Sent via Superhuman ( https://sprh.mn/?vip=javier@fiter.io )

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
You are welcome Awasum.
Wish you best for the weekend too!

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your input.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.

—

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Hello Everyone,

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Awasum,

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.

Posted by Benura Abeywardena <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ed !

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Benura Abeywardena <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @awasum

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
*Javier, Try to understand that I have no interest in hitherto,
assumptive dialogue. I would prefer cycling around then listening to the
adjectives that you use here. You are a beautiful human being who in
fact supported this project by bringing more people from your network in
this year's Con. I remember talking to you in 2019, over the phone where I
told you about my vision of how this community should increase open source
commits and PRs.*

*4. Community discussions also hinted at increasing engagement &
> representation of FIs who are consuming this project to ensure keeping the
> software compliant with regulations, diverse use cases & more real feedback
> if the project has to address needs of secto**rs other than micro
> finance.*

No, they don't, if any, FIs or individuals who are interested in using
FIneract will come and show themselves on the list or wherever they
pleased. We can't make this platform compliant with every regulation on the
planet, that has to be the last mile implementation effort which I believe
is not the best use of the project's resources.

*>>>Javier, Wrong. See, my friend, FIs are an important component of the
Product engineering lifecycle of Fineract. This is the first time Apache is
maintaining a financial technology project. We have to create outreach to
bring these stakeholders' participation to this product lifecycle. *
*Now as far as compliance with regulations and this project's bandwidth or
resources are, there are ways to make a platform regulatory compliant. E.g
global standards e.g IFRS, PCI, GDPR, California Protection Act,
International VAT standards etc. Then the local participation also brings
forward the local regulatory dynamics in the product's lifecycle. *
* You are perhaps demonstrating lack of subject matter expertise. *
*Are you stating that if a FI in Haiti and one in Germany wants to adopt
this platform, then well ugh sorry we only designed the system for banks in
one part of the world. A globally compliant fintech gets adopted faster by
Investment Banks, Private Equities as they have huge bases in different
regions of the world. I don't know your true level of expertise with
regulations. I am not even sure if you are deflecting or simply
demonstrating a lack of subject matter expertise here?*
*Or what about FIs in different regions, who will adopt this platform and
work with each other on remittances, because "we" can't make this platform
compliant with every regulation.*

ApacheCon Fineract/FinTech Track Activities

>    - *The various presentations and panels were advertised on list, and
>    the schedule was posted in social media and on the fineract wiki.
>        **This line is non contextual. Let’s correct it to;*
>    - The link to schedule was first advertised on list *a week before* the
>    conf and the schedule was posted in social media and on the fineract wiki.
>
> I don't see any value, including that the schedule was advertised on the
list a week before,  the ApacheCon has its own advertising methods and was
publicly announced in several places, including this list. Also, the
speakers got notifications on the approval or rejection of their proposals
way before the schedule was in place.
*>>Please focus, I am citing an action of posting the schedule for a
decision making exercise on this list. Let this go to the Board Report.
There is immense value in that. If you don't want to add now, it is fine
but explain more on this then please.*

*And further let’s add;*

> *Denmark based non for profit Muellners Foundation’s Board observed a non
> diverse & non inclusive schedule with 8/21 proposals from a single “for
> profit” company, sponsoring the Apache Con. *

This statistic is misleading and inaccurate. This is a discussion that
*several* sr. members of the Apache Foundation settled on the list, and yet
it's coming and coming.
*>>Let's agree that the discussion is settled for the sake of the
community. however the key aspects from the discussion should nevertheless
be reported on the Board Report as well. Why do you not wanna report it, if
I may ask? What is your version of this discussion that you would like to
add instead of this statement. Please share and go ahead. I am open.*

> *On the list, the debate surrounding objection to the manner of organising
> this year’s Apache Con resulted in highlighting the differences that the
> project community has. Some of the core issues that came under the light
> are:*

Again, this was settled by *several* contributions by Sr. members of the
Apache Foundation, explaining how the ApacheCon is managed, and how talks
are blindly selected in the platform.
*>>>No my friend, the overall process should be exhibited transparently to
this decentralised community of developers. Again the reality is that the
discussion over differences took place, it should be mentioned in the
report. *

> *1. Truthful representation of Fineract CN’s state in these Board Reports,
> project website, & improving documentation. Community has begun taking
> these steps.*

This is not related to how ApacheCon was managed.
*>>>YES and this point is not connected to Apache Con but is relevant for
the Board Report of this quarter as many discussions took place on this,
including findings in a survey that point to this statement. Why do you not
wanna add this, if I may ask?*

*2. Using blockchain based voting mechanism to run this decentralised
> community of developers, in the form of another project say Apache DaO.
> Muellners Foundation members proposed to incentivise the developers and
> enable **community ownership in decision making, using the publicly
> declared asset value of Apache Software Foundation. *

Good luck with this, Apache Foundation has its own set of rules, and this
is not the place or the method for changing them.
*>>Thanks for the luck Javier! This conversation took place on the list for
the first time in this project's history and therefore should be recorded
in the Board report. It's a different aspect whether the change happens
here or not. That's in the hands of the community, not me and you. *

*3. Long time contributor Saransh Sharma **explained that this project
> should explore blockchain in its architectural roadmap. *

Then why did you decide that the talk about using smart contracts in
Fineract CN wasn't appropriate for this community, as a Sr. member of
Muellners Foundation sent asking for changing that talk?

*"**We have decided to change the presentation subject and want to present
the case studies (supported by Muellners Foundation on Apache Fineract). We
feel that this is more fitting to the Fineract community than our current
abstract submission."*
*>>>**Dude, it is not your prerogative to ask me questions on why I decided
to withdraw the whole Muellners Foundation from this Apache Con. Frankly,
as a tech company CEO, you demonstrate lack of understanding of data
privacy and consent. This conversation took place b/w a Board of a non for
profit and a Track Chair(that was you as a volunteer here) and VP
Conferences. *
*Your only right as an Internet literate individual is to release
information which you have spoken, or you can give the Muellners
Foundation, a legal consent to release the whole set of communication, or
you can take a consent from the Muellners Foundation. But anyway what to
say to you on these issues. No, we have not signed an NDA, but that does
not mean that I start releasing your private information. Please try to
learn and respect this as you grow, it is important for the financial
services industry that you are operating in too.( see Javier, don't take
this otherwise, it is important for me to break this illusion now)*

*Now that you have spoken on this, I did not wanna waste volunteer time
beyond a point of philosophy. But you keep bringing it up thinking if this
dialogue is only because of this difference. My friend, I was neither a
speaker, nor a proposer of talk, neither the one whose proposal was
rejected. I am a nobody. Why did you give me the authority to decide this
in the first place? Maybe I care enough. *
*You were given the opportunity to explain but you decided to only defend
your actions. You were also given the opportunity to listen, but then
again, you misnamed people, wrongly identified their gender, ridiculed
their participation. You did that on a public forum as well. So, take it
easy now. *

*The above statement is not about Apache Con. Life does not end at Apache
Con. It is indeed true that Saransh raised the blockchain in Fineract's
architectural roadmap for the first time, so let's add this in the report
too. Why do you not wanna add this statement, if I may ask? *

During this quarter, unfortunately few Apache Code of Conduct violations
> took place in the manner members communicated with each other.

This quote alone is dangerous, if there were violations please indicate
them and escalate them.

*Now, I have a request, Javier. please respond with data, facts, links,
reports. I am sure you can produce information. What use is this dialogue
if you and I keep throwing mud slings at each other.*
*Greetings!*

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 8:57 PM, Muellners ApS < ankit@muellners.org > wrote:

> [...]

> representation of FIs who are consuming this project to ensure keeping the
> software compliant with regulations, diverse use cases & more real
> feedback if the project has to address needs of secto rs other than micro
> finance.

No, they don't, if any, FIs or individuals who are interested in using FIneract will come and show themselves on the list or wherever they pleased. We can't make this platform compliant with every regulation on the planet, that has to be the last mile implementation effort which I believe is not the best use of the project's resources.

> During this quarter, unfortunately few Apache Code of Conduct violations
> took place in the manner members communicated with each other.

This quote alone is dangerous, if there were violations please indicate them and escalate them.

Your welcome!

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
Hey Awasum,

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.