Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> on 2016/09/01 00:53:47 UTC

Re: Kafka consumers unable to process message

Kafka clients have tended to make broker retries transparent to the user.
There's been discussion on various JIRAs about what we should do when all
the known brokers become unreachable. One option is to revert to the
configured bootstrap broker list, which is nice if you've configured a vip
for bootstrapping. More generally, we've discussed introducing a pluggable
interface for broker discovery, which allows for integration with service
discovery frameworks like consul. I'm supportive of this option, but we
probably need a champion with a little more time to investigate the options
and push it through. For the JIRA that I linked to above, I'm inclined to
have poll() silently retry since that is consistent with current behavior,
but it should not block longer than the passed timeout.

-Jason