Posted to jcs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/29 17:48:51 UTC

Jakarta JCS - legal status (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>
To: board@apache.org
Subject: Jakarta JCS - legal status

Wanting to keep the board informed of a walking the tightrope legal situation
within Jakarta.

JCS has optional dependencies on:

Jisp
JGroups
Sleepycat BDB JE
JavaGroups

The Jisp licence is lib-png like and seems fine (no comments on the
legal-discuss channel), so I've said that it's cool, but the newer Jisp
versions are GPL and are strictly forbidden. The code is going to be deleted
for technical reasons anyway, so after an initial scare, this looks good.

The JGroups licence is LGPL. I've said it's not to go in the distribution, but
I'm not asking them to delete the code at the moment as I'm unsure what our
current official situation is on LGPL. It's an optional feature, so it appears
to be fine under the unofficial soon to be official ruling.

Sleepycat seems fine.

JavaGroups is an older name for JGroups I think. So LGPL and the same
hedging-my-bets ruling as above.

So this is mostly an invitation for the board to kick me and tell me to make
them delete the LGPL'd source rather than hedge.

I'm going to forward this email to the jcs-dev list so they're kept in touch.

Hen