Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/25 08:05:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Folks,

We have been using GitHub for PR now for a while, it seems to work despite the fact that we still have to get used to the workflow.
We lack some privileges on the mirror to be able to use labels etc.

I would also be in favor of using Issues and why not the Wiki. Basically I personally would be in favor of a 100% move to GitHub.

There is some core discussions happening with ASF members about what that means for the very nature of an ASF project.

But I am curious,

What do you think about moving our source repo to GitHub (instead of it being a mirror) and start using the other features of github ?

-Sebastien

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi

On 10/26/2015 10:59 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>> But, I thinks that would be better to keep the control of the source
>> code repo. This is the core of your work.
>>

> Agree. I love Github and it works great, but make it THE primary source
> for the source code and go away from ASF? Well, I'm not sure.
>
> True, Git is distributed and that's cool, but I think we should make
> sure that as a project we aren't depended on Github.

Same here, love GitHub but go away from ASF...? Not sure.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
so just to be clear, this is not about leaving the ASF.
This would be about moving our source code to GitHub.

We would remain an ASF project

--
---
Sebastien Goasguen

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
+1 what Wido said.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
+1 !

This would be a HUGE time saver from a RM perspective.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to GitHub

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
I like the idea. Few issues I can think of;

- Project will become dependent on Github (but luckily, there is a migration path from Github to Gitlab, in case anything goes wrong in future)
- Github issues and wiki are quite limited, compared to JIRA and confluence
- Possible split brain issues, when both JIRA/confluence and Github issues/wiki are all used together

On 25-Oct-2015, at 12:35 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Folks,

We have been using GitHub for PR now for a while, it seems to work despite the fact that we still have to get used to the workflow.
We lack some privileges on the mirror to be able to use labels etc.

I would also be in favor of using Issues and why not the Wiki. Basically I personally would be in favor of a 100% move to GitHub.

There is some core discussions happening with ASF members about what that means for the very nature of an ASF project.

But I am curious,

What do you think about moving our source repo to GitHub (instead of it being a mirror) and start using the other features of github ?

-Sebastien

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue

[cid:image003.png@01D104EF.CE276C40]

M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>
Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.