Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/17 08:20:14 UTC

Re: [mod_python] Making web site more useful. (Was: OS X / Apache 2 / mod_python bug)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:50:58 -0500, Graham Dumpleton
<gr...@dscpl.com.au> wrote:
> Scott Sanders wrote ..
> > I can help with this if there is a canonical patch for the issue in
> > JIRA.  Just point me at it, and I will integrate it into the
> > repository.
>
> The solution to the original problem was already in the repository
> of as yet unreleased source code. It wasn't appreciated that it applied
> to the specific problem with that version of Python even though it
> was suggested early on that it be tried anyway.
>
> What would help at the moment is for the web site to be updated
> to include the following:
>
> 1. A link to the JIRA bug reporting page for mod_python. The only
> references to this are in past mailing list postings. Site should
> say to try and solve problem first by looking at mailing list
> archive and by discussion on mailing list to avoid reports which
> relate to a person understanding rather than a bug.
>
> 2. A link to and instructions on how latest working copy of code
> could be checked out of subversion repository so people can
> try that if they want to, to see if it fixes their problems. Note
> sure it is common knowledge at all where the subversion
> repository is.
>
> 3. A variant of the search box on the main web site which will
> look just in the archive of mailing list mail and which is marked
> as such. Ie., include the search term "inurl:pipermail". This would
> avoid the questions of how to search the mailing list. Comments
> on the site directing people to try searching the mailing list
> archive for solutions to problems would also help.
>
> 4. For myself and others who help out, we should be more
> diligent in posting more FAQ entries on common problems.
>
> Graham

Grisha, we need help here... What is the procedure for updating
anything to www.modpython.org ?

Regards,
Nicolas

Re: [mod_python] Making web site more useful. (Was: OS X / Apache 2 / mod_python bug)

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
I think your assessment is right on - quite a few people aspire to make
great improvements to mod_python, yet very few actually deliver anything
for those same old reasons (me included) - the job, the family, life, etc.
BTW, I'm not discouraged by this, this is perfectly normal IMO.

Grisha

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
Graham -