Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/26 11:45:42 UTC

Commons net - any ftp servers supporting COMPRESSED_TRANSFER_MODE?

The commons net package supports setting the file type to
COMPRESSED_TRANSFER_MODE which results in a "TYPE C" being sent to the
server.

I looked around but have been unable to locate any links to a server
which actually supports this.  Apparently "TYPE Z" is used in some
products to have the datastream gzipped on the fly (which incidentially
Commons Net does not know about), and people very frequently suggest
"type c:\something" which shows up in my google search shadowing what I
really want to know :)

Is there ANY ftp server out there which supports this feature?

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: Commons net - any ftp servers supporting COMPRESSED_TRANSFER_MODE?

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Oberhuber, Martin skrev  den 26-03-2008 13:31:
> This must be nonstandard.
>
> I could not find any reference to "TYPE C" or "TYPE Z"
> in the RFCs, or other references linked from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
>
> What products support "TYPE Z" ?

The page I saw in passing while looking around was

http://www.g6ftpserver.com/en/modez

The g6ftp server and the mentioned "This command and format have been
discussed with and already adopted by popular FTP software developers
like SmartFTP <http://www.smartftp.com>, RaidenFTPd
<http://www.raidenftpd.com>, FTP Voyager <http://www.ftpvoyager.com>,
GetIt <http://www.noisette-software.com/products/windows/GetIt> to name
a few." is unknown to me.

It looks like they do not know how to submit a RFC to standardize such
things.

Posted by "Oberhuber, Martin" <Ma...@windriver.com>.
This must be nonstandard.

I could not find any reference to "TYPE C" or "TYPE Z"
in the RFCs, or other references linked from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

What products support "TYPE Z" ?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm