Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Mike Wolffs <mi...@timeinc.com> on 2012/09/17 23:17:35 UTC

Getting started with JMS in TomEE+

Hello,

I'm trying to port an existing JMS based application from Weblogic to
TomEE+.  I'm trying to figure out how to configure TomEE+ to instantiate the
queues.

The queues would be accessed from external listeners.  We would provide a
webservice wrapping a Java object to post messages onto the queues.

This should be fairly simple but the TomEE documentation is sparse, and I'm
not quite sure where everthing needs to go.  Is this all done under
ActiveMQ, and should I be looking in that documentation?  Do they configure
the same?

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: Getting started with JMS in TomEE+

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

the advanced doc is the AMQ one but the container config is on
OpenEJB/TomEE website:
http://tomee.apache.org/jms-resources-and-mdb-container.html

what do you miss in particular?

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 17, 2012, at 2:17 PM, Mike Wolffs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to port an existing JMS based application from Weblogic to
> TomEE+.  I'm trying to figure out how to configure TomEE+ to instantiate the
> queues.
>
> The queues would be accessed from external listeners.  We would provide a
> webservice wrapping a Java object to post messages onto the queues.
>
> This should be fairly simple but the TomEE documentation is sparse, and I'm
> not quite sure where everthing needs to go.  Is this all done under
> ActiveMQ, and should I be looking in that documentation?  Do they configure
> the same?

Hi Mike!

JMS queues are created automatically either

 1) at runtime the first time they're referenced.  ActiveMQ will never throw a "no such queue" kind of exception, it will always create one with the name you ask for.

 2) at deploy time because that queue is referenced via @Resource in code.  Say `@Resource(name = "FOO.QUEUE") javax.jms.Queue fooQueue;`, the queue name becomes "FOO.QUEUE"

 3) in configuration in the `<tomee-home>/conf/tomee.xml` file via `<Resource id="FOO.QUEUE" type="javax.jms.Queue"/>`

 4) in configuration in the `<mywebapp>/WEB-INF/resources.xml` file via `<Resource id="FOO.QUEUE" type="javax.jms.Queue"/>`

-David