Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by email builder <em...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/09 11:27:52 UTC

OT: DB connections coming from unqualified hostname

Hello,

  When we connect to our bayes/awl/user_scores databases, the connections are
being made by clients with unqualified hostnames.  If we try to use GRANTs
such as 'user'@'%.example.com', connections are refused since only the
hostname portion is being used to connect I guess.  For example, if a
hostname is "gaia", a GRANT of 'user'@'gaia' works correctly, but not the
above wildcard.  Our connections are all over a local area network.  Can
anyone shed light on how to force connecting clients to be recognized with a
fully qualified hostname so we don't have to keep track of GRANTs for every
one of our spamd client machines?

Thanks!

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: OT: DB connections coming from unqualified hostname

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.

--- email builder <em...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > connections
> > > are
> > > GRANTs
> the
> > the
> > Can
> > > with a
> > > every

> > > /etc/hosts is your friend.. have a simple mapping of the IP to Hostname
>
> > > (assuming that the IP address doesn't change) and a corresponding entry
>
> > > for the hostname in the mysql (db/user) tables.
> >
> > Um, not sure I follow you.  We have this in /etc/hosts
> >
> > 10.10.10.50            gaia gaia.example.com
> >
> > So that DNS resolves correctly for our hosts.  If I switch it to this,
> will
> > that do the trick?
> >
> > 10.10.10.50            gaia.example.com gaia
> >
> > No, doesn't seem to help.  Our MySQL users are only allowed to log in if
> > their hostname is just "gaia", whereas we'd like to just use
> > "%.example.com"
> > instead.  The client gives the error:
> >
> > ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'user'@'gaia' (using password:
> > YES)
>
> Same happens with clients on the same machine, except the connection is
> seen
> from localhost (makes sense, sure, but I would like the connection to be
> approved as if being made from any other machine in our LAN)
>
> Access denied for user 'user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Also tried putting '10.10.%' in the user table, but no dice.

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: OT: DB connections coming from unqualified hostname

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.
> > >   When we connect to our bayes/awl/user_scores databases, the
> connections
> > are
> > > being made by clients with unqualified hostnames.  If we try to use
> > GRANTs
> > > such as 'user'@'%.example.com', connections are refused since only the
> > > hostname portion is being used to connect I guess.  For example, if a
> > > hostname is "gaia", a GRANT of 'user'@'gaia' works correctly, but not
> the
> > > above wildcard.  Our connections are all over a local area network.
> Can
> > > anyone shed light on how to force connecting clients to be recognized
> > with a
> > > fully qualified hostname so we don't have to keep track of GRANTs for
> > every
> > > one of our spamd client machines?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > /etc/hosts is your friend.. have a simple mapping of the IP to Hostname
> > (assuming that the IP address doesn't change) and a corresponding entry
> > for the hostname in the mysql (db/user) tables.
>
> Um, not sure I follow you.  We have this in /etc/hosts
>
> 10.10.10.50            gaia gaia.example.com
>
> So that DNS resolves correctly for our hosts.  If I switch it to this, will
> that do the trick?
>
> 10.10.10.50            gaia.example.com gaia
>
> No, doesn't seem to help.  Our MySQL users are only allowed to log in if
> their hostname is just "gaia", whereas we'd like to just use
> "%.example.com"
> instead.  The client gives the error:
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'user'@'gaia' (using password:
> YES)

Same happens with clients on the same machine, except the connection is seen
from localhost (makes sense, sure, but I would like the connection to be
approved as if being made from any other machine in our LAN)

Access denied for user 'user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

TIA

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: OT: DB connections coming from unqualified hostname

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.

__________________________________
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: OT: DB connections coming from unqualified hostname

Posted by Dhawal Doshy <dh...@netmagicsolutions.com>.
email builder wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   When we connect to our bayes/awl/user_scores databases, the connections are
> being made by clients with unqualified hostnames.  If we try to use GRANTs
> such as 'user'@'%.example.com', connections are refused since only the
> hostname portion is being used to connect I guess.  For example, if a
> hostname is "gaia", a GRANT of 'user'@'gaia' works correctly, but not the
> above wildcard.  Our connections are all over a local area network.  Can
> anyone shed light on how to force connecting clients to be recognized with a
> fully qualified hostname so we don't have to keep track of GRANTs for every
> one of our spamd client machines?
>
> Thanks!

/etc/hosts is your friend.. have a simple mapping of the IP to Hostname
(assuming that the IP address doesn't change) and a corresponding entry
for the hostname in the mysql (db/user) tables.

Also make sure you have this in /etc/nsswitch.conf, to ensure that
/etc/hosts gets a higher priority over /etc/resolv.conf
hosts:      files dns

- dhawal