Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by tawfiq zidi <ta...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/22 18:53:10 UTC

Cluster With two XenServer

Hi,

I've Created XenServer Cluster with two Host ( XS 6.0.2 ) , the system VMs
( ssvm and cpvm ) and virtual router are created fine in the first host,
and I've succeded to launch VMs in the first host.

But when I tried to launch VMs in the second Host, the VMs always remains
unreachable .
I've checked the traffic connection and I found that the VMs in the Second
host can't reach the Virtual router in the First Host , because the VM and
Virtual Router are in seperate Link local network. So that why the VMs in
the Second Host will not get an IP address after a DHCP discover from the
Virtual Router.

My question is : is it a normal behavior that within a cluster , a VM in a
Host B can't reach a virtual router in a Host A., did I miss some
configuration in creating a pool of XenServer ?

Best Regards.

Re: Cluster With two XenServer

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Ahmad is right, the most common cause for this is switch
misconfiguration.  Make sure the XS hosts are connected to switch ports
in trunk mode and that all the necessary VLANs are allowed on those
ports.  If the switch ports are definitely configured correctly, confirm
that the XS hosts are connected to the correct ports (and not, e.g. one
in access mode).

If you are using bonding on the XS hosts, make sure that the switch
ports are configured accordingly.  The default SLB mode and the
active-passive modes will probably not work if the switch ports are
configured for LACP, Etherchannel, 802.3ad, etc..  If the NICs in the
bond are connected to different non-stacked switches, use active-passive
and not SLB.

Other possible problems include:
Broken drivers - Check for any driver updates for your XenServer
version.  If that doesn't help or doesn't apply, try a different NIC
(Intel or Broadcom, with updated drivers if applicable).
Open vSwitch problems - Change to bridge back-end temporarily (run
xe-switch-network-backend bridge and reboot both hosts) to see if the
problem is fixed.  If that helps, install all XS patches supported by
CloudStack and try Open vSwitch again.

Best regards,
Kirk

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.