Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by David Cogen <co...@ll.mit.edu> on 2012/04/03 18:14:19 UTC

Commons Collections and Generics

Please correct me if I am mistaken about this:

There appears to be no generics-aware version of Commons Collections
within Apache Commons. For example, there is no interface Predicate<T>
in version 3,2,1; only a Predicate.

But I have for several years been using a generics-aware rewrite of
Commons Collections; see
https://github.com/megamattron/collections-generic. I have been very
satisfied with it, and use it exclusively in preference to the Apache
Commons version, but I expected that this would be adopted by Apache
Commons by now. But apparently it is not?

Am I correct about this? If so, can anyone explain why it has not, or if
there are plans to do so, or shed any other insight about this?

Thanks so much.
David Cogen

Re: Commons Collections and Generics

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>  [collections] has had generics in its trunk for years, but none of
> its developers, myself included, have had time to get this rather
> large codebase fully ready for a release.  In any event, the general
> idea in Commons is that [collections]' functor code is
> semi-deprecated;

That's a matter of opinion of course.

For me, coding with functors in Java is not pretty and I'd rather wait for
closures in Java 8. A generics version of collection is reasonable but, as
Matt notes, it's a matter of wanting to put the time in.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Commons Collections and Generics

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,
  [collections] has had generics in its trunk for years, but none of
its developers, myself included, have had time to get this rather
large codebase fully ready for a release.  In any event, the general
idea in Commons is that [collections]' functor code is
semi-deprecated; we will recommend instead the use of the [functor]