Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/06/20 14:15:52 UTC

[general] milestones and roadmap

I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
like to achieve in the next 12 months.

I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.

1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.

2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
various VMs.

3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
the same CI runs that he's doing

4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.

5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs

6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
and start integrating that.

7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?

8) Package completion roadmap

9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.

What else? :)

geir

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> like to achieve in the next 12 months.
>
> I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
>
> 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
>
> 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> various VMs.
>
> 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> the same CI runs that he's doing
>
> 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
>
> 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
>
> 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> and start integrating that.
>
> 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
>
> 8) Package completion roadmap
>
> 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
>
> What else? :)

0) port on macosx so that the other half of the devs on this list can do
something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Stefano.

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Lots of good ideas expressed already.

I'll add :
 - get some of the principal JDK tools in place
 - expand the committer gene pool
 - graduate from incubator

Regards,
Tim

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> like to achieve in the next 12 months.
>
> I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
>
> 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
>
> 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> various VMs.
>
> 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> the same CI runs that he's doing
>
> 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
>
> 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
>
> 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> and start integrating that.
>
> 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
>
> 8) Package completion roadmap
>
> 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
>
> What else? :)
>
> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
17) Release engineering: regular building and publishing of the binaries of
HDK for downloading.

18) Don't we want to include applications which will show how mature Harmony
is as milestone goals? For example, be able to run Eclipse stably enough to
use it as development platform.

 Thanks, Vladimir

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.
20. Modularity (?).  Perhaps it may make sense (at least for DRLVM) to
refine and document the internal interfaces and API such that one can
easily substitute the different parts of VM (e.g. GC, JIT, possibly
some other parts).

Thanks,
Andrey.

On 6/27/06, Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 19. Performance improvement. Optimize class libraries and VM. There
> was some tips how to do better java code. Performance critical places
> can be revised and reimplemented more efficiently.
>
> --
> Ivan
>
> On 6/27/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks like the ideas dried up.  Are you going to track and organize?  Do
> > you want help?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
> >
> > Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > > I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> > > like to achieve in the next 12 months.
> > >
> > > I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> > > activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
> > >
> > > 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> > > classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
> > >
> > > 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> > > right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> > > various VMs.
> > >
> > > 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> > > this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> > > the same CI runs that he's doing
> > >
> > > 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> > > few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> > > on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> > > role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
> > >
> > > 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
> > >
> > > 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> > > and start integrating that.
> > >
> > > 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
> > >
> > > 8) Package completion roadmap
> > >
> > > 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> > > need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
> > >
> > > What else? :)

Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] Timeline question

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
kranga wrote:
> Hi Harmony developers,
>    I checked the jdk1.4 and 1.5 comparison charts and 1.4 coverage looks
> impressive and 1.5 looks like 75%. Can anyone give me their best
> estimate of when you think you'll have a 95% + coverage of jdk 1.5?

No :)

It's a very difficult question, because progress in this area depends on
volunteers (like yourself :) to contribute.

We've been very fortunate so far to get the 'bulk' contributions we've
received from Intel and IBM to really get us on our way, but it's up to
us in the project to take it from there.

My unscientific guess is that by sometime in the first quarter of next
year, we'll be complete.  That's my hope, anyway.

geir

[classlib] Timeline question

Posted by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>.
Hi Harmony developers,
    I checked the jdk1.4 and 1.5 comparison charts and 1.4 coverage looks
impressive and 1.5 looks like 75%. Can anyone give me their best estimate of
when you think you'll have a 95% + coverage of jdk 1.5?

Thanks
KR

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Always a good way to flush em out ;-)

Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marina Goldburt <ma...@gmail.com>.
11) em64t/ipf platform support

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/20, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> > 16) Port to MacOS X
> This could be the same as 13 but I was thinking of linux/ppc64.  MacOSX
> would be more interesting but I think it makes sense to change one
> aspect of the platform at a time.  So you are right to make this a
> separate item.
And I was thinking about MacOS X on Intel processors :)

So we found one more task: Port to MacOS X on PowerPC...

--
Alexey A. Petrenko

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/20, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> On 20 June 2006 at 19:24, "Mikhail Loenko" <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2006/6/20, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
> > > I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> > > like to achieve in the next 12 months.
> > >
> > > I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> > > activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
> > >
> > > 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> > > classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
>
> 1.5) Reduce classlib code to one implementation per module.
>
> > > 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> > > right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> > > various VMs.
> > >
> > > 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> > > this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> > > the same CI runs that he's doing
> > >
> > > 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> > > few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> > > on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> > > role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
> > >
> > > 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
> > >
> > > 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> > > and start integrating that.
> > >
> > > 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
> > >
> > > 8) Package completion roadmap
> > >
> > > 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> > > need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
> > >
> > > What else? :)
> >
> > 10) Develop and execute test infrastructure: stability, reliability,
> > stress, performance, whatever tests. Regular runs on various platforms
>
> 11) Use system libraries, dynamically where appropriate - libz, libpng,
> libjpeg, liblcms, libicu*, etc.
>
> 12) Port to a 64bit little endian platform - amd64
>
> 13) Port to a 64bit big endian platform - ppc64

14) Port to em64t platform (Lost from Marina's letter)

15) Port to ipf platform (Lost from Marina's letter)

16) Port to MacOS X

It looks like roadmap for longer then 12 months period ;)

--
Alexey A. Petrenko

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.