Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/11 18:49:41 UTC

Menu language problem with Wiki

Just clicked on "OpenOffice Wiki: Documentation area" link under
http://www.openoffice.org/support/#community-support.

The page that is displayed has English body text, but Dutch (I think)
for the menu bar.

Clicking other languages (under "Ander tale") changes the body text,
but not the menu.

However, when I try the same in Opera and Chrome, the menu stays in English.

Very odd.

Re: Menu language problem with Wiki

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2013, at 10:23 AM, sebb wrote:
>
> > On 11 September 2013 17:49, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Just clicked on "OpenOffice Wiki: Documentation area" link under
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/support/#community-support.
> >>
> >> The page that is displayed has English body text, but Dutch (I think)
> >> for the menu bar.
> >>
> >> Clicking other languages (under "Ander tale") changes the body text,
> >> but not the menu.

OK, you mean when you get TO the wiki Documenation page. I tried this just
now also -- to ES. As you say, It does change the contents of the wiki page
but not the left menu -- you are correct. I am not a Media Wiki guru, but I
would image that side menu template needs some function applied to it on a
language change to make this happen.

Maybe a fun project for a volunteer to investigate.

> >> However, when I try the same in Opera and Chrome, the menu stays in
> English.
> >>
> >> Very odd.
> >
> > Sorry, my fault - I'd forgotten I'd been playing with the languages
> > setting in Firefox.
> > It was actually Afrikaans.
> >
> > However, given that the menu is available in languages other than
> > English, why does it not change when the user selects a different
> > language?
>
> The menu language is under the control of what directory the user is in
> and if that has templates/<lang>/ssi.mdtext and has
> content/<lang>/topnav.mdtext
>
> Regards,
> Dave

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

Re: Menu language problem with Wiki

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> English.

> >> Sorry, my fault - I'd forgotten I'd been playing with the languages
> >> setting in Firefox.
> >> It was actually Afrikaans.
> >>
> >> However, given that the menu is available in languages other than
> >> English, why does it not change when the user selects a different
> >> language?
> >
> > The menu language is under the control of what directory the user is in
> and if that has templates/<lang>/ssi.mdtext and has
> content/<lang>/topnav.mdtext
>
> I need new glasses. Sorry for the wrong, clueless reply.

Not a problem. :)

> I may know more in the future since I will be looking into the details of
> how mwiki constructs its pages.

Great! We all could benefit from learning  more about how mwiki works.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2013, at 10:23 AM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 11 September 2013 17:49, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just clicked on "OpenOffice Wiki: Documentation area" link under
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/support/#community-support.
>>>
>>> The page that is displayed has English body text, but Dutch (I think)
>>> for the menu bar.
>>>
>>> Clicking other languages (under "Ander tale") changes the body text,
>>> but not the menu.
>>>
>>> However, when I try the same in Opera and Chrome, the menu stays in English.
>>>
>>> Very odd.
>>
>> Sorry, my fault - I'd forgotten I'd been playing with the languages
>> setting in Firefox.
>> It was actually Afrikaans.
>>
>> However, given that the menu is available in languages other than
>> English, why does it not change when the user selects a different
>> language?
>
> The menu language is under the control of what directory the user is in and if that has templates/<lang>/ssi.mdtext and has content/<lang>/topnav.mdtext

I need new glasses. Sorry for the wrong, clueless reply. I may know more in the future since I will be looking into the details of how mwiki constructs its pages.

Regards.
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.