Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Ashmore, Samuel R" <sr...@sandia.gov> on 2002/06/07 22:01:57 UTC

limiting access

I am attempting to create a directory where i can limit the access.  I
created a password file using htpasswd.  before i put in the .htaccess
file(which is shown below) i had access to the directory.  Now i have no
access.  Any suggestions?

AuthName "Test Directory"
AuthUserFile /home/squat/public_html/temp/.htaccess
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
        require valid-user
</Limit>

Re: limiting access

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Ashmore, Samuel R wrote:

> I am attempting to create a directory where i can limit the access.  I
> created a password file using htpasswd.  before i put in the .htaccess
> file(which is shown below) i had access to the directory.  Now i have no
> access.  Any suggestions?
>
> AuthName "Test Directory"
> AuthUserFile /home/squat/public_html/temp/.htaccess
> AuthType Basic
> <Limit GET>
>         require valid-user
> </Limit>

1. Throw away whatever documentation told you to use <Limit GET> and
</Limit>.  Those lines are unnecessary and quite possibly a security risk.

2. The AuthUserFile should point to the password file, not to the
.htaccess file.

3. What does the error log say?

Joshua.