Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Carlos Soares <cs...@liacc.up.pt> on 2005/11/21 18:12:14 UTC

removing inherited rights

Dear lenya users,

How to remove inherited rights?

I have found a posting by Alice Turner
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.user/7129/match=inherited+rights)
asking the same question but could not find any answer.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Carlos

Re: lenya version & Re: removing inherited rights

Posted by Carlos Soares <cs...@liacc.up.pt>.
Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Carlos Soares wrote:
>
>> Hi Doug,
>> I'm sorry for not sending the necessary details. I'm using apache
>> 1.2.4. Would you recommend moving to 1.4? The documentation warns
>> against using
>
> 1.4 has some really nice features [publication templating, new usecase
> framework, modules, cforms, etc].  I am using 1.4 for a few internal
> sites currently without any major issues.  I want to wait till jcr is
> implemented and tested before using lenya 1.4 for my public sites.
>
> Most development is targeted at 1.4.

Ok. I'll stick to 1.2.4 then.

>> it but it seems that several people are doing it already. I'm
>> building a website for a research group. It is not a critical site
>> (people are willing to accept occasional problems) but it should be
>> easy to manage the site (e.g. managing access control).
>
> I would think that this would be a requirement for many sites ;).
>

>> Concerning the question about removing inherited rights, is it
>> possible to do it in the"AC Auth" tab?
>
> As far as I know, you can't remove inherited rights in the "AC Auth" tab.

The thread I mentioned yesterday described how to do it by editing the
subtree-policy.acml files. However, this is not very practical. Is this
going to change in 1.4?

>   Any thoughts on how to implement this?  Perhaps just a checkbox to
> remove inherited rights ["AC Auth" and "AC Live"]?

Why not a DELETE button just like for the "local" rights?

Thanks again!
Carlos

>> Thanks for the help!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Carlos
>>
>> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carlos,
>>> Are you using 1.4 or 1.2?
>>>
>>> 1.4 should be restrictive as you apply roles using the "AC Live" tab
>>> in the site area.  Here is the change that made the
>>> FilePolicyManager restrictive:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=239664&view=rev
>>>
>>> You can try it out here:
>>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9999/default/live/restrict.html
>>> (lenya should have access, whereas alice and the rest of the world
>>> don't have access or the view role).  This assumes that no one
>>> changes the group members or URL rights on the doc.
>>>
>>> It looks like this could be applied to the 1.2.x branch, but I
>>> didn't want to change functionality in the stable branch.  This
>>> patch could be committed to the 1.2.x branch, it should be discussed
>>> on the Dev list.
>>>
>>> --Doug

Carlos Soares
Fac. of Economics/University of Porto
csoares@liacc.up.pt

Re: lenya version & Re: removing inherited rights

Posted by Carlos Soares <cs...@liacc.up.pt>.

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Carlos Soares wrote:
> Hi Doug,
> I'm sorry for not sending the necessary details. I'm using apache 1.2.4.
> Would you recommend moving to 1.4? The documentation warns against using
1.4 has some really nice features [publication templating, new usecase
framework, modules, cforms, etc].  I am using 1.4 for a few internal
sites currently without any major issues.  I want to wait till jcr is
implemented and tested before using lenya 1.4 for my public sites.

Most development is targeted at 1.4.

> it but it seems that several people are doing it already. I'm building a
> website for a research group. It is not a critical site (people are
> willing to accept occasional problems) but it should be easy to manage
> the site (e.g. managing access control).
I would think that this would be a requirement for many sites ;).

> Concerning the question about removing inherited rights, is it possible
> to do it in the"AC Auth" tab?
As far as I know, you can't remove inherited rights in the "AC Auth"
tab.  Any thoughts on how to implement this?  Perhaps just a checkbox to

Posted by Carlos Soares <cs...@liacc.up.pt>.
Hi Doug,

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Hi Carlos,