Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Bellski <h....@gmail.com> on 2014/12/04 09:48:17 UTC

Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Hello. I have two problems which stops our company migrate to the Karaf.

*Karaf version:* 4.0.0.0M1
*OS:* Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
*JVM:* 1.7 latest

1. If deploy bundle from file system or from obr , then kill karaf without
normal shutdown and start. Karaf will not resolve/start this bundle or
bundles. Bundle will lose dependent packages. I f karaf shutdown normally
all works fine. It not looks like enterprise stability.
2. If karaf cannot allocate memory for heap. After cleaning memory karaf
cant start random bundles. All bundles lose dependent packages. it not looks
like enterprise too. I'm wondering that no one asking about it, just few
posts on stackoverflow without answer. I'm so unlucky or what. Btw i had a
problem long time ago on karaf 3.

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
You absolutely right. I think it's problem in first configuration from my
plugin. Any way why it works on all versions of Glassfish and Equinox :/ Sry
for wasting your time.

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
Gimme time. I'll all tests

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks for the update.

I'm testing on 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT right now, I will send to you an update in
10mn or so.

Regards
JB

On 12/10/2014 10:21 AM, Bellski wrote:
> jbonofre wrote
>> Did you try on Karaf using Equinox ?
>>
>> As I said in my previous e-mail, we directly leverage the framework for
>> bundle management. Anyway, I re-open the Jira about this to double check.
>
> Yes, it works with strange, but it works. I wrote in another mail about
> permanent Karaf 4.0.0M1 "Starting" state, with couple of external bundles.
> Now i'wll try 3.0.2.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
This is the test that I did on Karaf 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT, Felix framework
4.4.1, Oracle JDK 1.7, Linux:

0/ I start karaf with bin/karaf

1/ I installed the war feature:

karaf@root()> feature:install war

2/ I installed and started a bundle:

karaf@root()> bundle:install
mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.commons-lang/2.4_6
Bundle ID: 94
karaf@root()> bundle:start 94

Nothing special in the log, clean state with la:

49 | Resolved |  30 | 1.4.4                  | JavaMail API (compat)

50 | Resolved |  30 | 1.0.1                  | Annotation 1.1

51 | Resolved |  30 | 1.1                    | Java Authentication SPI
for Containers
52 | Resolved |  30 | 1.1.1                  | geronimo-jta_1.1_spec

53 | Active   |  30 | 1.0                    | Servlet 3.0

54 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0.SNAPSHOT         | Apache Karaf :: HTTP ::
Core
55 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0.SNAPSHOT         | Apache Karaf :: Web ::
Core
56 | Resolved |  20 | 3.18.0                 | Apache XBean OSGI Bundle
Utilities
57 | Resolved |  20 | 3.18.0                 | Apache XBean :: Classpath
Resource Finder
58 | Resolved |  30 | 3.8.2.v20130121-145325 | Eclipse Compiler for
Java(TM)
59 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Continuation

60 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Http Utility

61 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: IO Utility

62 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: JAAS

63 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: JASPI Security

64 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: JMX Management

65 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: JNDI Naming

66 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Plus

67 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Rewrite Handler

68 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Security

69 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Server Core

70 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Servlet Handling

71 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Utility Servlets
and Filters
72 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Utilities

73 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Utilities ::
Ajax(JSON)
74 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Webapp
Application Support
75 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Websocket :: API

76 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Websocket ::
Common
77 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Websocket ::
Server
78 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: Websocket ::
Servlet Interface
79 | Active   |  30 | 9.0.7.v20131107        | Jetty :: XML utilities

80 | Active   |  30 | 2.1.0                  | OPS4J Pax Url - war

81 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | Jetty-Annotations

82 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - API

83 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web -
FileInstall Deployer
84 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Extender
- WAR
85 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Extender
- Whiteboard
86 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty

87 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Jsp
Support
88 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Runtime

89 | Active   |  30 | 4.0.0                  | OPS4J Pax Web - Service
SPI
94 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.0.6                | Apache ServiceMix ::
Bundles :: commons-lang

3/ I kill Karaf with:

kill -9 $KARAF_PID

(so basically a brute kill).

4/ I start Karaf again with bin/karaf.
The la command still show "valid" bundles, and I can manipulate the
bundles (for instance, bundle:uninstall 94 works fine).

So, I have some questions for you:
1/ do you use the deploy folder or kar to deploy your bundles ?
2/ how do you deploy your bundles ?
3/ which kind of bundles do you deploy (blueprint, DS/SCR, ...) ?

Thanks,
Regards
JB

On 12/10/2014 10:21 AM, Bellski wrote:
> jbonofre wrote
>> Did you try on Karaf using Equinox ?
>>
>> As I said in my previous e-mail, we directly leverage the framework for
>> bundle management. Anyway, I re-open the Jira about this to double check.
>
> Yes, it works with strange, but it works. I wrote in another mail about
> permanent Karaf 4.0.0M1 "Starting" state, with couple of external bundles.
> Now i'wll try 3.0.2.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
jbonofre wrote

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

On 12/10/2014 10:04 AM, Bellski wrote:
> I did some experement.
>
> Glassfish 4 and Karaf 3.0.2 have the same felix version 4.2.1.  Bundles in
> glassfish works fine after crash. I moved felix.jar from glassfish to karaf,
> Karaf still wont resolving  bundles which installed before crash. Glassfish
> 3.1.2.2 has felix 4.0.2. I moved felix.jar from Glassfish 3.1.2.2 to Karaf.
> Picture the same.
>   May still be a problem in Karaf ? If you want i'll do a video with all
> manipulations.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

websockets should also work nicely with Karaf 3.x due to Jetty 8.
It supported websockets already, you just need to make sure to have the
right websocket servlet registered.
If you look for a the latest JSR-356 implementation this will only work
with Pax Web 4.1 which isn't connected to Karaf yet.

regards, Achim

> rkmoquin wrote
> > Just wanted to chime in regarding the comment about the enterprise
> > stability of Karaf.  I wanted to note that it wouldn't be fair to draw
> > stability conclusions of Karaf based on a milestone version of Karaf.  If
> > you will be putting this in production in the short term, you might want
> > use a release of Karaf, like 3.0.2.  Development versions of Karaf have
> > always been quite stable in my experience, but you still want to remember
> > you are using a milestone version.
>
> I understanding all risks, but we need websockets :/ , and i think we will
> end all tests to karaf 4.0.0 release.

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
rkmoquin wrote

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
Just wanted to chime in regarding the comment about the enterprise
stability of Karaf.  I wanted to note that it wouldn't be fair to draw
stability conclusions of Karaf based on a milestone version of Karaf.  If
you will be putting this in production in the short term, you might want to
use a release of Karaf, like 3.0.2.  Development versions of Karaf have
always been quite stable in my experience, but you still want to remember
you are using a milestone version.

Ryan

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
jbonofre wrote

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

On 12/04/2014 10:35 AM, Bellski wrote:
> jbonofre wrote
>> Do you use Felix as framework ?
>
> Yeap. By karaf default
>

> jbonofre wrote
>> Unfortunately, the bundle cache of the framework get corrupted (it's not
>> directly a Karaf bug, but more a framework bug).
>
> We're using Glassfish. Glassfish uses Felix and we never had problems with
> bundles, after crush.
>

> jbonofre wrote
>> If you can provide test cases to reproduce your issue
>
> I can do the video, i think it's better than words ;)

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
jbonofre wrote

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

See my comments inline:

> *Karaf version:* 4.0.0.0M1
> *OS:* Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> *JVM:* 1.7 latest
>
> 1. If deploy bundle from file system or from obr , then kill karaf without
> normal shutdown and start. Karaf will not resolve/start this bundle or
> bundles. Bundle will lose dependent packages. I f karaf shutdown normally
> all works fine. It not looks like enterprise stability.
Do you use Felix as framework ?
Can you try with Equinox if it's better.

Unfortunately, the bundle cache of the framework get corrupted (it's not
directly a Karaf bug, but more a framework bug).

AFAIR, we now have a HUP signal catcher to limit this behaviour.
See my point later how to move forward about that.

> 2. If karaf cannot allocate memory for heap. After cleaning memory karaf
> cant start random bundles. All bundles lose dependent packages. it not looks
> like enterprise too. I'm wondering that no one asking about it, just few
> posts on stackoverflow without answer. I'm so unlucky or what. Btw i had a
> problem long time ago on karaf 3.
Which memory are you talking about ? The perm ?
It could be related to the bundle classloaders not cleaned.

Allow me to disagree a bit with you about "it's not look enterprise". We
have a bunch of users in production with Karaf pretty stable. Probably
some usages and special cases provide issues.

Anyway, your points are fair and should be addressed.

If you can provide test cases to reproduce your issue (at least a
detailed description), I will be more than happy to create the Jira and
re-work on these.

Regarding stackoverflow, it's the not the Karaf mailing list or forum.
So, it's not surprising that you don't have answer there ;)

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
<features ...>
   <feature name="my" description="foo" version="x.x.x" resolver="(obr)">
   </feature>
</features>

Regards
JB

On 12/10/2014 04:07 PM, Bellski wrote:
> which right ?

> <features xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.3.0"
> name="cas2-1.0.0">
>      <feature name="cas2" description="cas2" version="1.0.0">
> 	*<resolver>obr</resolver>*
>          <details>cas2</details>
>          <bundle dependency="true">mvn:ru.aeinf.cas.feature/doc-ui</bundle>
>      </feature>
> </features>

> <features xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.3.0"
> name="cas2-1.0.0">
>      <feature <b>resolver="obr"* name="cas2" description="cas2"
> version="1.0.0">
>          <details>cas2</details>
>          <bundle dependency="true">mvn:ru.aeinf.cas.feature/doc-ui</bundle>
>      </feature>
> </features>

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf 4.0.0M1 wont resolve random bundles after crush

Posted by Bellski <h....@gmail.com>.
jbonofre wrote
> Thanks again for the update.
>
> Can you share what you found about your plugin configuration as it can be
> helpful for other users ?
>
> Regarding obr yes: in your features XML,  on a
> <feature/>
>  element you can define resolver="obr". If the obr feature is installed
> and you have obr repositories defined, Karaf will try to resolve the
> bundles from obr first and fallback to maven.

I did plugin for Intellij IDEA

1. Run Karaf from IDEA with debug and etc. Observe bundles from IDEA (stop ,
start , uninstall, dependencies, status), plugin can observe by part of
symbolic name (create group) = "com.foor.bar.*".  Also plugin can deploy
project into any osgi framework.

2. Plugin for manage osgi project. It dependts on symbolic name part , obr,
svn. Your team can update, or start whole project without sources, just
update from plugin. It alows to develop project (maven, gradle) in module
style. For example - Project has A B C modules. You can open project A and
dvelop it without B C, then commit project. Before commit plugin
incrementing verison of project and deploying it in any maven repository,
then plugin notifying whole team with the same plugin about update. Other
teammates can update or not, can update just a part or whole project. Also
Plugin can do release by svn tag in producation. Plugin showing difference
version of modules between local , obr, svn, so you can always see what you
want to update.
 Now i tyring to do more flexible second plugin. Code not ready for
publication. Coz second plugin still depends from company project. I think
it will be very helpful for many osgi, karaf users.
 I dont know why it not works in Karaf/Felix. Just know that it in
configuration. Coz if configure karaf by hands , all ok.