Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Schludi Wolfgang <Wo...@stb-ag.com> on 2012/03/20 16:19:39 UTC

possible switch bug in conjunction with file-externals

attached is my shell-script "svn-bug.sh" to reproduce the error.
also attached is the logfile from "bash -x ./svn-bug.sh > svn-bug.out 2>&1"

short description:
I replaced some files in some branches with file-externals.
when switching between these different branches (with real files and with file-externals) the files get lost.
even worse: when being in that state, svn doesn't tell me that something is wrong
ok, I once get an error message from the switch command, but since my project trees are very large, the error message gets scrolled out.

questions:

*         did I miss some important informations?

*         is this a bug, or did I do something wrong or misunderstood something?

*         is the bug already in the issue tracker?

*         do I report the bug to the issue tracker or does one of you gurus report the issue?

regards, Schludi

Wolfgang Schludi
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)
___________________
stb ag
Stettenstrasse 6
D-86150 Augsburg

Phone: +49 (0) 821 319876-29
Mobile:
Fax: +49 (0) 821 319876-80
E-mail: Wolfgang.Schludi@stb-ag.com
Internet: http://www.stb-ag.com

Vertretungsberechtigter Vorstand        Dr. Stefan Berchtold, Markus H?vermann
Registergericht         Amtsgericht Augsburg
Registernummer  HRB 2083
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer
gem?? ? 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz         DE 199 299 766
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender       Alexander Schmitz-Elsen

Re: possible switch bug in conjunction with file-externals

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Wolfgang Schludi wrote on Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 13:59:46 +0100:
> Am 21.03.2012 10:14, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> >Schludi Wolfgang wrote on Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 15:19:39 +0000:
> >[...]
> >>*         is the bug already in the issue tracker?
> >Have you looked?  If you've looked but aren't sure whether one of the
> >existing bugs covers this issue, we can help make that determination.
>
> yes. I did search for a similar report and didn't find any within 30
> minutes.

OK, then I'm willing to assume there isn't already a similar report.

> But, to be honest, I did not understand all issues in detail (would
> take days/weeks :-/).
>
> >>*         do I report the bug to the issue tracker or does one of you gurus report the issue?
> >No hard and fast rule here.
>
> So I'll give it a try...

Yes please.

If you want, you could also contribute a regression test for this ---
see http://subversion.apache.org//docs/community-guide/general#patches
and subversion/tests/[cmdline/]README in trunk.

Thanks,

Daniel

Posted by Wolfgang Schludi <Wo...@stb-ag.com>.
Am 21.03.2012 10:14, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> Schludi Wolfgang wrote on Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 15:19:39 +0000:
> [...]
>> *         is the bug already in the issue tracker?
> Have you looked?  If you've looked but aren't sure whether one of the
> existing bugs covers this issue, we can help make that determination.

yes. I did search for a similar report and didn't find any within 30
minutes.
But, to be honest, I did not understand all issues in detail (would take
days/weeks :-/).

>> *         do I report the bug to the issue tracker or does one of you gurus report the issue?
> No hard and fast rule here.

So I'll give it a try...

regards, Schludi

Re: possible switch bug in conjunction with file-externals

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Schludi Wolfgang wrote on Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 15:19:39 +0000:
> attached is my shell-script "svn-bug.sh" to reproduce the error.
> also attached is the logfile from "bash -x ./svn-bug.sh > svn-bug.out 2>&1"
>
> short description:
> I replaced some files in some branches with file-externals.
> when switching between these different branches (with real files and with file-externals) the files get lost.
> even worse: when being in that state, svn doesn't tell me that something is wrong
> ok, I once get an error message from the switch command, but since my project trees are very large, the error message gets scrolled out.
>
> questions:
>
> *         did I miss some important informations?

No, the reproduction script is self-contained.

> *         is this a bug, or did I do something wrong or misunderstood something?

The former.  At the end of the script, copy/ and orig/ are the same
URL@revision, both consider them up-to-date, but are different.  (with
a current trunk build)

> *         is the bug already in the issue tracker?

Have you looked?  If you've looked but aren't sure whether one of the
existing bugs covers this issue, we can help make that determination.

> *         do I report the bug to the issue tracker or does one of you gurus report the issue?

No hard and fast rule here.

> regards, Schludi

Thanks!

Daniel