Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ravindra Gupta <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/07 03:26:35 UTC

Single Jmeter instance produces better throughput than multiple

Hi All,

I am facing a problem where if i run a single jmeter instance it produces
much better throughput than when i am running 2 jmeter instance.

Details about the test

Script is very simple, it has just one sampler which post xml request to app
server. Each thread posts one xml request and finishes.

In one test,
At the same time I simulated 50 Threads with no 0 rampup time. Lets say it
produces x throughput.

In another test
I simulated 2 jmeter instance (not in master slave) from multiple machines
with 25 thread (0 rampup) on each instance. The combined throughput I am
getting in this model is much lower than in x.
What could be the case of such a behaviour.

Ideally the combined throughput should be equivalent to x.

All the jmeter clients are server class machines with CentOS. Jmeter is
running in non GUI mode.
wht could be the cause of this behaviour?

Thanks in advace,
Ravindra

Re: Single Jmeter instance produces better throughput than multiple

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

You need to give actual output details. Looks like the server and the
network has to do more work in serving 2 client instances than one!

Deepak
   --
Keigu

Deepak
+91-9765089593
deicool@gmail.com
http://www.simtree.net

Skype: thumsupdeicool
Google talk: deicool
Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org
"

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 January 2011 04:23, Ravindra Gupta <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> I am using sampler called HTTP Request HTTPClient. Here we just post an xml
> file with the request.

OK.

> If I run 50 thread, throughput that I am getting is ~585 req/sec.
> But if I run two jmeter instances, its throughput as ~236 req/sec and 236
> req/sec repectively. These numbers. may differ but slightly.

Which means the total throughput is 472 req/sec.

> Using Jmerter version 2.3.2. test is running in a separate subnet, so tthere
> is no problem of network latency

Current version of JMeter ia 2.4 - 2.3.2 is quite old.
However this probably won't affect timings much unless you are using
certain Listeners, e.g. Aggregate.
Remove all Listeners except perhaps a Summary Listener.

> The interesting thing is that if I run only one Jmeter instance with 25
> threads , throughput is ~620 req/sec.

This suggests that 50 threads may be starting to stress the server.

What happens if you run two such on the same host?
How does this differ from two on different hosts?

> Hi Deepak,
>
> I can see from Jmeter.log file that all the threads gets activated , there
> are no failures. I think its able to make 50 connections because I am
> getting responses correctly.
>
> Two Jmeter instance with 25 threads each
> Avg request - 105 ms
> Min - 9 ms
> Max - 1305 req/sec

Huh?
Did you mean: 1305 ms?

> 50 threads -single jmeter instance
> Avg req - 82 ms
> Min - 9 ms
> Max - 1259 ms
>
> I have run multiple tests resulting in similar kind of data.

And what are the comparative results for 2 * 25 threads on same host
and different host?

Also worth trying smaller numbers of threads, e.g. 2 * 5 threads and 1
* 10 threads.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
>I can see from Jmeter.log file that all the threads gets activated
Which doesnt mean that the server sees that many . if you could check on
your server the total number of concurrent connection you saw in either
case. if your average times are increasing as seen on the server then I
would guess your server is seeing a higher load in the second case.

regards
deepak

Posted by Ravindra Gupta <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

It would be great if you can post results before and after one solves the
problem.

Something like that:

1. Throughput
2. Number of Concurrent Users
3. Response Time
4. Think Time
5. Utilization (Client, Server, Network)
6. System Configuration

Its easier to answer and learn.

Deepak

Posted by Ravindra Gupta <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by alwaysbmore <al...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
it's possible your 0 rampup combined with a single sampler , no iteration
might give you invalid results - Your server may not be seeing 50 concurrent
connections in the first case. How much do the min/avg/max response times
vary ?