Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2016/01/06 16:00:06 UTC

Re: Tagging Flink classes with InterfaceAudience and InterfaceStability

Fabian took another look into the interface stability PR for flink-core.

There are the following issues which we need to decide upon:

1) The "ExecutionMode" class name is misleading because its for batch-jobs
only.
I suggest to make the  ExecutionMode class an "@Experimental" interface
(and the ExecutionConfig.setExecutionMode/getExecutionMode methods).
This way, we can still rename the ExecutionMode if necessary.

2) Remove the "JobExecutionResult.getIntCounterResult()" method.
I suggest to make the method @Experimental and @Deprecated

3) Does it make sense to extend the Partitioner.partition(K key, int
numPartition) method by a parameter for the current partitionId?
I remember as well that there was a user asking about this. How much effort
would it be to add the parameter?

4) We need to think about whether we change the RichGroupReduceFunction to
implement the regular combine function (combining into one value) rather
than the group combine function. While API breaking, it allows for more
efficient pre-aggregations.

Fabian suggested to introduce an additional annotation @Internal for
marking internal developer APIs within @Public classes. Without the
additional annotation, we would need to mark stable internal APIs as
@Experimental even though they are stable within Flink.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Since nobody disagreed with my proposal to merge the PR for "flink-core",
I'll add it to master now.

We can still make changes to the annotations when its merged ;)