Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Mario Ivanac <ma...@est.tech> on 2019/11/05 07:04:06 UTC

gateway sender queue

Hi geode dev,
we have some questions regarding gateway senders and gateway sender queue.

  *   During testing we have observed, different behavior in parallel and serial gateway senders. In case we manually stop, than start gateway senders, for parallel gateway senders, queue is purged, but for serial gateway senders this is not the case. Is this normal behavior or bug?
  *   What happens with the queues when whole cluster is stopped and later started (In our tests with persistent queues, the events are kept)?
  *   Could we add extra option in gfsh command  "start gateway sender" that allows to control queues reset (for instance --cleanQueues)?

Thanks,
Mario

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Suranjan Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Dan's suggestion.
In addition we should think about the following scenario:
In certain cases, cleanQueue would cause stop to block if Receivers are not
up or causing exception while applying the events. In that case events will
not be deletd from queue and stop will block.
Currently, it is controlled by a timeout, however we can give an option to
the user it he/she still wants to force stop the queue in case queue is not
drained in the a given time.

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org>.
+1 to Dan's suggestion

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.com>.

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Jason Huynh <jh...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to Dan's suggestion

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.com>.
+1, I love that idea... Problem is that we don't have sufficient
auditing around managment/Operational tasks.

What happens if this task is run on an active cluster? Without proper
auditing and possibly some notion on WHAT data was purged, this could
open the product up for many head-aches.. i.e "Entry xxx,yyy,zzz was not
replicated to ClusterA..." Without knowing THAT a cleanQueue was run and
WHAT entries were purged, we could not dispute that that data was lost
due to purge or possibly a system issue...

I think as part of this effort we need to think about auditability.

--Udo

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Odg: gateway sender queue