Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/10 14:33:07 UTC

3k sstables during a repair incremental !!

Hello guys!

I am testing the repair inc in my custer cassandra. I am doing my test over
these tables

*CREATE TABLE pns_nonreg_bench.cf3* (
    s text,
    sp int,
    d text,
    dp int,
    m map<text, text>,
    t timestamp,
    PRIMARY KEY (s, sp, d, dp)
) WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY (sp ASC, d ASC, dp ASC)

AND compaction = {'class': 'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.
*LeveledCompactionStrategy*'}
    AND compression = {'sstable_compression':
'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.*SnappyCompressor*'}

*CREATE TABLE pns_nonreg_bench.cf1* (
    ise text PRIMARY KEY,
    int_col int,
    text_col text,
    ts_col timestamp,
    uuid_col uuid
) WITH bloom_filter_fp_chance = 0.01
 AND compaction = {'class': 'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.
*LeveledCompactionStrategy*'}
    AND compression = {'sstable_compression':
'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.*SnappyCompressor*'}

*table cf1        Space used (live): 665.7 MB*

*table cf2*
*        Space used (live): 697.03 MB*

It happens that when I do repair -inc -par on theses tables, *cf2 got a
pick of 3k sstables*. When the repair finish, it takes 30 min or more to
finish all the compactations and return to 6 sstable.

I am a little concern about if this will happen on production. is it normal?

Saludos

Jean Carlo

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" Alan Kay

Re: 3k sstables during a repair incremental !!

Posted by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi !

@Paulo
.
Yes we are using vnodes, 256 per node and we have 6 nodes in the cluster.
RF=3. The data is inserted using jmeter with consistency=LOCAL_ONE.
Because this is a test, we generate our data and we insert them using
jmeter.

After the repair finished, all the nodes seems to be freezed, no compaction
were runing, even if nodetool tpstats says
CompactionExecutor
    2        83           1424         0                 0

After I restart cassandra, the comactions started to run.

Posted by Marcus Eriksson <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com>.
Hello Horschi,

Yes I understand. Thx!!!!

Posted by horschi <ho...@gmail.com>.

Posted by horschi <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,

Posted by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Horschi !!!

Posted by horschi <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
Are you using vnodes by any chance? If so, how many? How many nodes and
what's the replication factor? How was data inserted (at what consistency
level)?

Streaming might create a large number of sstables with vnodes (see
CASSANDRA-10495), so in case data is inconsistent between nodes (detected
during the validation phase) a large number of sstables might be created
during the streaming phase of the repair. This might happen with or without
incremental repairs.

There is also a migration step from non-incremental to incremental repair
that must be followed for LCS tables to avoid recompacting all sstables
again. You may find more information in the migration procedure on
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesMigration.html

Posted by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kai

Posted by Kai Wang <de...@gmail.com>.
Jean,

Posted by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com>.
Correction:
*table cf3*
*        Space used (live): 697.03 MB*

It happens that when I do repair -inc -par on theses tables, *cf3 got a