Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Leasck, Andrew G. (STL)" <AG...@express-scripts.com> on 2006/02/22 23:13:48 UTC

Can I invoke (execute) a parent pom within a child pom

I have a parent-pom.xml that defines multiple <modules> and common
<dependencies> working as expected, such that when I invoke the install
goal I get my versioned module jars published to my local repository.

I have a child pom (pom.xml) that is used to create my war, the <parent>
is defined and it has <dependencies> on the modules defined in the
parent pom above.

If the dependencies do not exist (I removed them from my local
repository) the maven fails since the dependent jars are nowhere to be
found.  I would like the child pom to first invoke the parent to
install.  Thus ensuring that the latest module source is jar'd and
placed into the lib directory.

I hope I articulated the problem clearly Any ideas or help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Leasck
******* Confidentiality Notice *******
This email, its electronic document attachments, and the contents of its website linkages may contain confidential health information.  This information is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the prompt destruction of the material and any accompanying attachments.

Re: Can I invoke (execute) a parent pom within a child pom

Posted by Napoleon Esmundo Ramirez <nr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I have a hunch that you need the functionality that ${
project.parent.relativePath} provides.  This element works when the parent
described by ${project.parent.groupId}, ${project.parent.artifactId} and ${
project.parent.version} is not in the local repo.  In your child pom, you'll
have to specify something like:

<project>
  <parent>
    <groupId>org.foo</groupId>
    <artifactId>bar</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>
  </parent>
</project>

So if the parent artifact still isn't in the local repo, Maven will install
it as it is described in the relative path.

I hope this helps.  Kindly correct me if I didn't get what you mean. :)

Cheers!
Nap