Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> on 2011/04/12 22:03:01 UTC

Problem when copying 1.6.2 maven artifacts to m2-ibiblio-incubating-repository

I copied the 1.6.2 maven staging artifacts to m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
using the instructions in [1].  Specifically, I did the following:

 > Or, instead of using the Maven stage plugin just manually copy the artifacts there:
 >
 > cp -p -v -R  sca/  /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/tuscany/sca

This overwrote all the maven-metadata.xml files under the target sca/
directory with new files of the form:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<metadata>
   <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.sca</groupId>
   <artifactId>tuscany-assembly</artifactId>
   <version>1.6.2</version>
   <versioning>
     <versions>
       <version>1.6.2</version>
     </versions>
     <lastUpdated>20110406144922</lastUpdated>
   </versioning>
</metadata>

These files refer only to the 1.6.2 version, and don't mention all
the other Tuscany versions in m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository.

Is this a problem?  If so, how can I fix it?

   Simon

[1] http://tuscany.apache.org/making-releases.html

Re: Problem when copying 1.6.2 maven artifacts to m2-ibiblio-incubating-repository

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Simon Nash wrote:
> Raymond Feng wrote:
>> If you do mvn deploy from your workspace directly into the repo, it
>> will add the current version into the existing maven-metadata.xml. But
>> if you can just copy the ones from the staged repo, only 1.6.2 can be
>> seen. I don't think it will impact the maven resolution of older
>> versions but it might change the discovery.
> Thanks for the tip.  This suggestion should be added to the "Making
> Releases"
> page.  If I do this now, will it regenerate the maven-metadata.xml files
> and
> add the older versions?

I tried this as an experiment (using a local deployment repository).  It
didn't add the older versions to the maven-metadata.xml files.  So I'm
not sure how to add back the older versions to these files, and I'm also
not sure whether this is a problem that I need to fix before I announce
the availability of 1.6.2.

   Simon

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:

>>> Thanks for this explanation.  Any ideas on how I can get the other
>>> versions
>>> added back to these files?
>>>

>> I'm not sure I understand whats happened, looking in the central repo
>> now the 1.6.2 release is there and the maven-metadata.xml includes the
>> old versions but not the 1.6.2 version, see
>> http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tuscany/sca/tuscany-assembly/
>>
>> I'd guess that most of the releases we do have used that cp command
>> approach so this must have happened before for all those other
>> releases and no one has complained.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Yes, that's strange as well but in the opposite way; the maven-metadata.xml
> there has all the older releases but is missing the newer ones (1.6.1,
> 1.6.2,
> 2.0-Beta1 and 2.0-Beta2).
>
> I'm going to go ahead and add the download page for 1.6.2 and send out the
> announcement.  If anyone reports any problems caused by these
> maven-metadata.xml
> discrepancies, we can address them at that time.
>
>  Simon

I think that's right Simon. I don't have anything technically useful
to add here but back in the day I did repeatedly struggle to use Maven
to deploy the released artifacts to the right place. At some point
(probably when the instructions were updated) I found that some RMs
were just copying up the artifacts and no one was complaining.

Regards

Simon

Re: Problem when copying 1.6.2 maven artifacts to m2-ibiblio-incubating-repository

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.