Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Kettal, El-Yamine" <El...@cognos.com> on 2002/11/15 17:20:45 UTC

EventLog.

Hi,
I do not know if this is a known issue. I am using the latest log4j version
(1.2.7).

I tried to use the EventLog appender by using the provided program
NTMin.java.
Events were well logged, however there is an error string that appears on
each logged event:

The description for Event ID ( 4096 ) in Source ( Log4j ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event:

After investigating this problem, I found a workaround in the registry:
I have updated the item value of EventMessageFile of the key "Log4j" by
adding the path where NTEventLogAppender.dll is located on my disk. Then
every worked fine.

I have checked the program nteventlog.cpp and I found that the name
NTEventLogAppender.dll is harcoded in the function addRegistryInfo. This is
a bug. I think we should be able to pass the path where
NTEventLogAppender.dll is located to avoid the stated above.

In case this issue is know, please let me know if it has been fixed or any
status regarding to it.

Thanks
Yamine