Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jerry Jalenak <Je...@LABONE.com> on 2003/12/19 18:38:58 UTC

[OT] HTML Select box

Hi All,

Can't seem to find a way to do this, even though I've seen it done (I
think).  What I need is a HTML select box where the size parameter=1 (so I
get a true drop-down, not a scrolling box) AND the ability to select
multiple options within the select box.  Right now if I set the multiple
parameter I get a scrolling box.  I'm using an optionsCollection tag to
generate my option list (not that I think it has anything to do with my
problem  8-)  I suspect there is a JavaScript solution out there, but I
can't seem to google it.  Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

Jerry Jalenak
Development Manager, Web Publishing
LabOne, Inc.
10101 Renner Blvd.
Lenexa, KS  66219
(913) 577-1496

jerry.jalenak@labone.com

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this transmission in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify
LabOne at the following email address: securityincidentreporting@labone.com

Re: [OT] HTML Select box

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
>From a usability perspective, that seems kinda goofy, doesn't it? The user can
make multiple selections but can view at most one of them? If you don't have a
lot of items to display, perhaps a set of checkboxes (multibox) would be better?
If you end up with HTML like:

<select multiple="multiple" size="1">
  <option>1</option>
  <option>2</option>
  <option>3</option>
  <option>4</option>
  <option>5</option>
</select>

IE 6 gives you a single displayed item with scroll buttons while Moz 1.4 just
gives you something that looks like a textfield but can be scrolled with the
arrow keys. Not something I'd be too happy about using...

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: [OT] HTML Select box

Posted by Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>.
right, but that's in a multi-select box, not in a drop-down select.

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.

Re: [OT] HTML Select box

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>:

>  From a GUI perspective, how would you select multiple things in a
> drop-down? I can't actually recall ever seeing this type of widget
> anywhere (irrespective of HTML).

In HTML, this is triggered by the "multiple" attribute on the <select> element.
If you're using <html:select> tag, must add multiple="true".

In a browser, it's the usual technique for multiple selections -- shift-click
selects everything between the previous point and the current point, while
control-click adds the individual item you're currently pointing at.

> Could you send an example?

Craig

Re: [OT] HTML Select box

Posted by Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>.