Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/14 19:23:11 UTC

Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

I've just installed Subversion 1.6.4 on one machine, and now that
machine is complaining that it cannot resolve the hose name.

Here's my output:

#Here's the software version

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.1 (r37116)
   compiled Apr 13 2009, 16:35:55

Copyright (C) 2000-2009 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

# Can I contact the server?

$ ping subversion
PING subversion.solbright.com (10.14.78.251) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- subversion.solbright.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1329ms

# Okay, server is found. Let's do a "svn ls"

$ svn ls http://subversion/dev
svn: OPTIONS of 'http://subversion/dev': Could not resolve hostname
`subversion': Host not found (http://subversion)

# No good: Go to another machine

$ ssh build@aladdin
Last login: Thu May 14 15:14:24 2009 from 10.14.78.95

$svn --version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
   compiled Feb 18 2008, 06:21:17

Copyright (C) 2000-2005 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

# Same command works!
$ svn ls http://subversion/dev
modules/
templates/
tools/

By the way, I can from the first machine, pull up a web browser and
get to http://subversion/dev. When I try from the command line, I get
that the server couldn't resolve the name..

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: path based authorization issue

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> > A path based authorization configuration problem.
> > I have a rules file with content as follows:
> >
> > # -------------------------------------------------
> > [groups]
> > test = harry, sally
> >
> > [/]
> > * = rw
> >
> > [/trunk/org/secure]
> > @test =
> > # -------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I would expect that harry and sally have access to all but not
> > to 'secure'.
> > But: The result is, everyone has access to /trunk/org/secure.
> > In comparison, the following example runs as expected:
> >
> > # -------------------------------------------------
> > [/]
> > * = rw
> >
> > [/trunk/org/secure]
> > * =
> > # -------------------------------------------------
> >
> > I'm running Subversion 1.5.5, Apache 2.0.63 on Windows XP Prof.
> >

> > Any hint?
>
> Have you tried using
>
> [/]
> $authenticated = rw
>
> instead of
>
> [/]
> * = rw
>
> ?
>
> I wonder if right now those users are falling back to gaining access as
> non-authenticated (anonymous) users.

I think also make sure you have anon_access set to nothing also. If you don't require authentication for read access them svn doesn't know who it is letting in an falls back to anon access settings.

BOb

RE: path based authorization issue

Posted by "Todd C. Gleason" <tg...@impac.com>.

Have you tried using

[/]
$authenticated = rw

instead of

[/]
* = rw

?

I wonder if right now those users are falling back to gaining access as
non-authenticated (anonymous) users.
Another thing you could try might involve some variant of using ~@test
to allow access to everyone other than the test group.  So maybe

[/trunk/org/secure]
* =
   (or $authenticated = )
~@test = rw

See also http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2009-06/0804.shtml .

path based authorization issue

Re: Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

Posted by Stephan Robotta <ro...@ontoprise.de>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:10:27AM -0400, David Weintraub wrote:

> I found that if I used the IP address instead of the machine name, it
> worked. Therefore, I added the machine name/IP address combo into my
> /etc/hosts file. This allows me to once again access our server by machine
> name.

That didn't seem to work here. But I am also not sure if I did everything
right.

regards, Stephan

Re: Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Just to let you know, I never really solved the problem, but I did find a
way go get around the issue.

I found that if I used the IP address instead of the machine name, it
worked. Therefore, I added the machine name/IP address combo into my
/etc/hosts file. This allows me to once again access our server by machine
name.

Someone told me there might be a bug somewhere in the version of Neon that
Fedora uses since Subversion uses Neon to do name resolution. I reported
this to the neon people a while ago, but haven't heard anything.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

Posted by Stephan Robotta <ro...@ontoprise.de>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:04:40PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:19:54PM +0200, Stephan Robotta wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:01:30AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > >
> > > What RA layer do you use? Something using HTTP?
> > > If so, what HTTP library are you using Subversion with, serf or neon?
> > > Hostname lookups are done by those libraries.
> >
> > I don't exactly understand the question, what is the RA layer?
>
> Apologies. "RA layer" is Subversion-speak for "repository access layer",
> which refers to the method used by the client to contact the repository.

Oh, thank you for that.

> When you run svn --version, you get a list of available RA layers,
> (or "modules" as they are called in the help output):
>
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
>   - handles 'http' scheme
>   - handles 'https' scheme
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
>   - with Cyrus SASL authentication
>   - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' scheme

I've got all these.

> Because I think so far, all reporters of this problem were using Fedora.
> Is this correct?

I guess so, at least David was.

Best regards, Stephan

Re: Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:19:54PM +0200, Stephan Robotta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:01:30AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:06:13AM +0200, Stephan Robotta wrote:
> > >
> > > SVN worked well before but suddenly quits with "could not resolve
> > > hostname".  There havent been any changes in the configuration.  So I
> > > do not assume any proxy problem.  This happend after an package update
> > > on Fedora 11.
> > >
> > > Resolving the hostname is not the issue, a wget or ssh login on the
> > > repositories machine works well.
> >
> > What RA layer do you use? Something using HTTP?
> > If so, what HTTP library are you using Subversion with, serf or neon?
> > Hostname lookups are done by those libraries.
>
> I don't exactly understand the question, what is the RA layer?

Apologies. "RA layer" is Subversion-speak for "repository access layer",
which refers to the method used by the client to contact the repository.

When you run svn --version, you get a list of available RA layers,
(or "modules" as they are called in the help output):

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

> What I did get e.g. is:
> [stephan@ernie ~]$ ldd /usr/bin/svn | grep neon
> 	libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0 (0x00d9a000)
> 	libneon.so.27 => /usr/lib/libneon.so.27 (0x06ce0000)
>
> [stephan@ernie ~]$ ldd /usr/bin/svn | grep serf
> returns nothing.
>
> So I assume that I am using some RA layer via HTTP with neon.

Most likely.

> I used to work with eclipse. But error messages there were not really
> helpful. Therefore I once started eclipse within an xterm to get
> information printed on STDOUT. There was a message like:
>
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname myserver.com:9630: Name or
> service not known
>
> Therefore I then tried svn on the command line, similar as described by
> David in the initial message of this thread.

I've heard of this error before, and I think the other reporter was
also using neon. It is hard to say what is really wrong here without
more information. Note though that Subversion relies on neon to resolve
hostnames. So this is possibly a bug in the neon shipped with Fedora.

Because I think so far, all reporters of this problem were using Fedora.
Is this correct?

Stefan

Re: Subversion 1.6 on Fedora: Cannot resolve hostname

Posted by Stephan Robotta <ro...@ontoprise.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
> [...]
> (http://www.Collab.Net/).
>
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
> protocol.
>   - handles 'http' scheme
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
> protocol.
>   - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' scheme
>

> # Same command works!
> $ svn ls http://subversion/dev
> modules/
> templates/
> tools/
>
> By the way, I can from the first machine, pull up a web browser and
> get to http://subversion/dev. When I try from the command line, I get
> that the server couldn't resolve the name..

Maybe the problem is solved already, since it's been a while (I'm catching up with some mailinglist backlog). But if not: I'd check out proxy settings, proxy server, ...

As opposed to the "ping subversion", the "svn ls http://subversion" might go via a proxy server (which then has to do the hostname resolving itself). As for pulling up a web browser: that might have different proxy settings (excludes, ...), so maybe it is not affected.

To eliminate possible causes, you could also try a wget or curl of http://subversion/dev from the command line, to see if it can resolve the hostname ...

Regards,
Johan