Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark juszczec <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/28 22:49:46 UTC

field with repeated data in index

Hello all

I created an index consisting of orders and the names of the salesmen who
are responsible for the order.

As you can imagine, the same name can be associated with many different
orders.

No problem.  Until I try to do a faceted search on the salesman name field.
 Right now, I have the data indexed as follows:

<field name="PRIMARY_AC" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true"
required="true" default="PRIMARY_AC unavailable"/>

My faceted search gives me the following response:

response={responseHeader={status=0,QTime=358,params={facet=on,indent=true,q=*:*,facet.field=PRIMARY_AC,wt=javabin,rows=0,version=2}},response={numFound=954178,start=0,docs=[]},facet_counts={facet_queries={},facet_fields={PRIMARY_AC={}},facet_dates={},facet_ranges={}}}

Which just isn't right.  I KNOW there's data in there, but am confused as to
how to properly identify it to Solr.

Any suggestions?

Mark

RE: field with repeated data in index

Posted by "Dyer, James" <Ja...@ingrambook.com>.
I'm not sure what you're getting at when you mention "duplicate values", but pretty much any way I interpret it, its allowed.  The only case it wouldn't be is if the field is your primary key and you try to index a second document with the same key as an existing document.  In that case the second document will replace the first.

It might save you some time in the long run, if you haven't already, to go through the step-by-step tutorial at http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html .  There are links there also for the "Solr Book" and the "Lucid reference guide".  These are both excellent detailed tutorials and should help you get up-to-speed pretty fast.

James Dyer
E-Commerce Systems
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311