Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by archibal <bu...@hotmail.com> on 2009/12/02 15:50:45 UTC

About Lucene ...

Hello all,

I'm actually looking for a software who can search in a computer (and on
windows network drive) all files and the contents of files based on indexing
method.

I have few questions about lucene :

- Lucene engine does index only the contents ? or is it possible to index
the name of folders, name of files and their contents ?
-Lucene is an API ?
-optionnally i want to have a central server which index all data (name of
files, folders and file content) on network and i would like to connect via
a browser on the central server ? are there project who does this or
something like ?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

Patrick

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
This might be OT but did you consider Google Desktop Search?
Seems that somebody reported success with hacking it to allow network file
system index/search: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3939

Regards,
Lukas

http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by 杨建华 <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Weiwei Wang <ww...@gmail.com>.

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Stefan Trcek <wz...@abas.de>.

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Stefan Trcek <wz...@abas.de>.

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Lucene is an API. You'd have to write a significant amount
of code to accomplish what you want. The Lucene demo would
be a good place to start.

Lucene by itself doesn't index anything. You have to design a
schema, feed it data and search that data. You can make it
index file names, dates, sizes, whatever by coding appropriately.

Lucene has nothing to do with a web presentation layer, so you'd
also have to write a web application to have  a web interface.

I'm not familiar with any out-of-the-box products that do what you
want, but then I haven't looked.

HTH
Erick

Re: About Lucene ...

Posted by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>.
This forum is probably not the best place to ask this question, since this
is Lucene developers/users forum. If you want to write a tool, then this is
the place is to be. If you want an ready tool, one I am aware of  is
searchmyfiles.exe from Nirsoft.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

Caveat: Neither have I used it nor do I endorse that tool. But I would guess
there would be plenty of commercial & F/OSS tools that do most or all what
you want. A bit of googling should get you there.