Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/04/11 19:36:08 UTC

Making code concurrent.

It appears that when Peter reformatted the Component framework, he reverted
the configuration method back to a previous version--causing some components
not to be loaded.  I don't know if it was because I forgot to check something
in (but CVS usually flags conflicts for me), or if Peter did some reformatting
in one directory and copied it over after I had committed those changes.

This is something that I had butted heads with over with Donald Ball in the
Cocoon list (he was right, I was in the wrong).  I want to make sure that
we are all on the same page as this type of mistake is inadvertant and not
of a malicious nature.

Please check the CVS log for changes to files you are about to alter.  This
is very important when you have two people working on the same classes at
the same time.  Also, if we are working in a separate heirarchy than the
CVS heirarchy (as I suspect Peter is), do a CVS update _after_ you copy
the files in the CVS heirarchy and _before_ you commit.  This will alleviate
most issues like this in the future.

Re: Making code concurrent.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 01:36  11/4/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>It appears that when Peter reformatted the Component framework, he reverted
>the configuration method back to a previous version--causing some components
>not to be loaded.  I don't know if it was because I forgot to check something
>in (but CVS usually flags conflicts for me), or if Peter did some
reformatting
>in one directory and copied it over after I had committed those changes.
>
>This is something that I had butted heads with over with Donald Ball in the
>Cocoon list (he was right, I was in the wrong).  I want to make sure that
>we are all on the same page as this type of mistake is inadvertant and not
>of a malicious nature.
>
>Please check the CVS log for changes to files you are about to alter.  This
>is very important when you have two people working on the same classes at
>the same time.  Also, if we are working in a separate heirarchy than the
>CVS heirarchy (as I suspect Peter is), do a CVS update _after_ you copy
>the files in the CVS heirarchy and _before_ you commit.  This will alleviate
>most issues like this in the future.

Hmm - I had conflicts so I reupdated and redid - must of missed something.
But you know there is one way to avoid issues like this ;)

Cheers,

Pete