Posted to women@apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2006/06/15 22:28:27 UTC

[Fwd: Women's Summer Outreach Program 2006]

Most readers of this list will know what the Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) is, if you are one of these skip the next paragraph, everyone
else will get a little background, so keep reading.

In the last two years Google have made cash and resources available to
help promote Open Source development within the student communities of
the world. Basically, Open Source projects identify mini-projects that a
student can do in three months. They then provide a mentor who will
guide the student in the "ways of Open Source". The student receives
US$4500 whilst the project receives US$500. The outcome is that the
project gets some fresh blood and some code, whilst the student gets
lowered gently into open source.

So what does this have to do with women@a.o?

The mail below, originally sent to the GSoC admin list, may provide some
inspiration for members of this list....

Ross