Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Cory <va...@insightbb.com> on 2009/03/08 22:26:54 UTC

XSSFWorkbook Problem - Log4j

     I am trying to write a program that will read an .xlsx file, sort through the data counting instances it finds based on the if statements, and count each true instance.  I have gotten this program to work with the HSSF library (with the same file converted to .xls) but have a problem when trying to use the XSSF library.  Here is my code:

package logsheetsorter;

//Import libraries here
import org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFWorkbook;
import org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFSheet;
import org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFCell;

class SLMonthlyClosed
{
    //Declare attributes here.
    XSSFWorkbook logBook;  //Declare a workbook to capture the excel page to be read.
    XSSFSheet slLotSheet;  //Declare a sheet to hold the ML Lot number information.
    XSSFCell currentCell;  //Declare a cell to hold the current cell being looked at.
    String cellContents;  //Declare a string object to be used to analyze the cell contents.
    String monthSelected;  //Declare a string attribute to convert the month object to.
    String yearSelected;  //Declare a string attribute to convert the year object to.
    String lotMonth;  //Declare a string attribute for the month substring of the lot number.
    String lotYear;  //Declare a string attribute for the year substring of the lot number.
    int count = 0;  //Declare an attribute to count the number of instances that found that match the user input.

    SLMonthlyClosed()
    {
        try
        {
            logBook = new XSSFWorkbook("C:/Documents and Settings/Cory/Desktop/LOT_NUMBER_LOG.xlsx");
            slLotSheet = logBook.getSheet("SL LOTS");
        }

        catch (Exception e)
        {
            System.out.println("WorkBook Read Error: " + e);
        }
    }

    int SLMonthlyClosedCount(Object year, Object month)
    {

        yearSelected = year.toString();  //Convert the object year to a string attribute.
        monthSelected = month.toString();  //Convert the object month to a string attribute.

        yearSelected = yearSelected.substring(3);  //Get the last digit of the year selected in order to compare to the lot number year.

        try
        {
            for (int row = 2; slLotSheet.getRow(row).getCell(1) !=null || slLotSheet.getRow(row).getCell(2) != null || slLotSheet.getRow(row).getCell(3) != null; row++)  //Search through each row that is filled in in the worksheet.
            {
                cellContents = slLotSheet.getRow(row).getCell(1).getStringCellValue();  //Get the lot number of the current row being examined.

                if (cellContents.length() > 5)
                {
                    lotYear = cellContents.substring(3, 4);  //Get the substring of the lotYear to compare to the year selected.

                    if (lotYear.equals(yearSelected))  //Compare the lot year to the year selected.
                    {
                        lotMonth = cellContents.substring(4, 6);  //Get the substring of the lot number representing the month.

                        if (lotMonth.equals(monthSelected))  //Compare the lot number month with the selected month.
                        {
                            if (slLotSheet.getRow(row).getCell(8) != null)
                            {
                                count++;
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

        catch (Exception a)
        {
            System.out.println("SL Monthly Closed Count Error: " + a);
        }

        return count;
    }
}

     I get the following error(s):

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.openxml4j.opc).
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Cur$CurLoadContext.attr(Cur.java:3039)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Cur$CurLoadContext.attr(Cur.java:3060)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale$SaxHandler.startElement(Locale.java:3250)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.Piccolo.reportStartTag(Piccolo.java:1082)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.parseAttributesNS(PiccoloLexer.java:1802)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.parseOpenTagNS(PiccoloLexer.java:1521)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.parseTagNS(PiccoloLexer.java:1362)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.parseXMLNS(PiccoloLexer.java:1293)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.parseXML(PiccoloLexer.java:1261)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.PiccoloLexer.yylex(PiccoloLexer.java:4808)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.Piccolo.yylex(Piccolo.java:1290)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.Piccolo.yyparse(Piccolo.java:1400)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.xml.Piccolo.parse(Piccolo.java:714)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale$SaxLoader.load(Locale.java:3439)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale.parseToXmlObject(Locale.java:1270)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale.parseToXmlObject(Locale.java:1257)
        at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.schema.SchemaTypeLoaderBase.parse(SchemaTypeLoaderBase.java:345)
        at org.openxmlformats.schemas.spreadsheetml.x2006.main.WorksheetDocument$Factory.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFSheet.read(XSSFSheet.java:126)
        at org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFSheet.onDocumentRead(XSSFSheet.java:118)
        at org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFWorkbook.onDocumentRead(XSSFWorkbook.java:201)
        at org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFWorkbook.<init>(XSSFWorkbook.java:164)
        at org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.XSSFWorkbook.<init>(XSSFWorkbook.java:173)
        at logsheetsorter.SLMonthlyClosed.<init>(SLMonthlyClosed.java:25)
        at logsheetsorter.LogSheetSorter.actionPerformed(Main.java:225)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6041)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3265)

     I'm not expereienced with using the log4j class.  I understand I need to configure a log4j.properties file in order for this to work.  There are not that many examples out there after looking around (or I'm looking in the wrong spots).  Anyone have any suggestions or references I can look at to learn this library and be able to read the .xlsx file?  Also, I tried to use org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.* (Workbook, Sheet, Cell, and WorkbookFactory) to read the file with the same result.

Cory

PS For those subscribed to the general list I sent this message there as a mistake.  I apologize for the double post if you are getting this again.

Re: XSSFWorkbook Problem - Log4j

Posted by Cory J Gagel <va...@insightbb.com>.
     This is great stuff!  Thanks for sending it!  It'll help me get off the ground which is exactly what I needed.  Thank you again!

Cory

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.