Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by rv...@livelens.net.INVALID on 2020/11/22 08:35:12 UTC

Brute force SSH trojan

​Hi Community!

Congratulations to the new committers.

One VM in a test environment was infected by a brute force SSH trojan.

The OS is debian-9 , the template from openvm.eu

It had only SSH (22) and iperf (5001) services running and reachable from anywhere.

I believe this article is related because of the tar file (dota3.tar.gz) that I found on the system:
​
https://ethicaldebuggers.com/outlaw-botnet-affects-more-than-20000-linux-servers/
​
I have a snapshot of the ROOT volume in case anybody is interested to review it.

I suspect they got in via SSH, but I wonder how as only one KEY was setup (no password). I am trying to find out more information.

Has anybody experienced this ?

Regards,
Rafael

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.
May be do not just assume,  you need to check on it

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 1:00 AM <rv...@privaz.io.invalid> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I don't know. I have to look into it.
>
> I did setup my template to use SSH key, and disabled password (when
> importing the template in ACS). I assumed that password auth would be
> disabled and only available via that SSH key.
>
> I have to look into this and check if that is happening or not. I guess
> this should be either in cloud-init or in the template itself.
>
> I will look into it this week.
>
> Rafael
> On Sun, 2020-11-22 03:38 PM, Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > You did not change the password, and all using the default password ?
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM "
> target="_blank"><rv...@livelens.net.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > ​Hi Community!
> > >
> > > Congratulations to the new committers.
> > >
> > > One VM in a test environment was infected by a brute force SSH trojan.
> > >
> > > The OS is debian-9 , the template from openvm.eu
> > >
> > > It had only SSH (22) and iperf (5001) services running and reachable
> from
> > > anywhere.
> > >
> > > I believe this article is related because of the tar file
> (dota3.tar.gz)
> > > that I found on the system:
> > > ​
> > >

> https://ethicaldebuggers.com/outlaw-botnet-affects-more-than-20000-linux-servers/
> > > ​
> > > I have a snapshot of the ROOT volume in case anybody is interested to
> > > review it.
> > >
> > > I suspect they got in via SSH, but I wonder how as only one KEY was
> setup
> > > (no password). I am trying to find out more information.
> > >
> > > Has anybody experienced this ?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Rafael
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hean Seng

Hean Seng

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by rv...@privaz.io.INVALID.
Hi!

I don't know. I have to look into it.

I did setup my template to use SSH key, and disabled password (when importing the template in ACS). I assumed that password auth would be disabled and only available via that SSH key.

I have to look into this and check if that is happening or not. I guess this should be either in cloud-init or in the template itself.

I will look into it this week.

Rafael
On Sun, 2020-11-22 03:38 PM, Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> You did not change the password, and all using the default password ?
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM " target="_blank"><rv...@livelens.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > ​Hi Community!
> >
> > Congratulations to the new committers.
> >
> > One VM in a test environment was infected by a brute force SSH trojan.
> >
> > The OS is debian-9 , the template from openvm.eu
> >
> > It had only SSH (22) and iperf (5001) services running and reachable from
> > anywhere.
> >
> > I believe this article is related because of the tar file (dota3.tar.gz)
> > that I found on the system:
> > ​
> >
> > https://ethicaldebuggers.com/outlaw-botnet-affects-more-than-20000-linux-servers/
> > ​
> > I have a snapshot of the ROOT volume in case anybody is interested to
> > review it.
> >
> > I suspect they got in via SSH, but I wonder how as only one KEY was setup
> > (no password). I am trying to find out more information.
> >
> > Has anybody experienced this ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rafael
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Hean Seng

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by rv...@privaz.io.INVALID.
Hi Ivan,

If there is a legitimate possibility for shipping templates with a password setup, then setting an SSH key as logon mechanism should imply that any existing password will be cleared.

Or perhaps if a template is ready to "accept" passwords from ACS then no password should be re-configured?

Rafael

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <iv...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <iv...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by Rafael del Valle <rv...@livelens.net.INVALID>.
Hi Hean,

Re: Brute force SSH trojan

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM <rv...@livelens.net.invalid> wrote:

> ​Hi Community!
>
> Congratulations to the new committers.
>
> One VM in a test environment was infected by a brute force SSH trojan.
>
> The OS is debian-9 , the template from openvm.eu
>
> It had only SSH (22) and iperf (5001) services running and reachable from
> anywhere.
>
> I believe this article is related because of the tar file (dota3.tar.gz)
> that I found on the system:
> ​
>
> https://ethicaldebuggers.com/outlaw-botnet-affects-more-than-20000-linux-servers/
> ​
> I have a snapshot of the ROOT volume in case anybody is interested to
> review it.
>
> I suspect they got in via SSH, but I wonder how as only one KEY was setup
> (no password). I am trying to find out more information.
>
> Has anybody experienced this ?
>
> Regards,
> Rafael

Hean Seng