Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by phil campaigne <pc...@charter.net> on 2005/09/20 17:43:22 UTC

Installation problem on svn 1.2.3

I have read ch 6 that you referenced but find that it assumes a lot of
specific knowledge.  I have been using "svnserve", it was a typo in my

I'll focus on getting the svn protocol right.  Here's what I tried:

[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svnserve -i
( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )

1.
[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svn checkout
svn://localhost/usr/local/subversion/repos
svn: URL 'svn://localhost/usr/local/subversion/repos' doesn't exist
2.
[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svn checkout
svn://localhost/usr/local/subversion/repos/trunk ReportingSystem
svn: URL 'svn://localhost/usr/local/subversion/repos/trunk' doesn't exist
3.
[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svn checkout
svn://localhost:3690/usr/local/subversion/repos
svn: URL 'svn://localhost:3690/uxr/local/subversion/repos' doesn't exist
[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$
4.
[phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svn checkout
svn://localhost:3690/usr/local/subversion/repos/trunk  ReportingSystem
svn: URL 'svn://localhost:3690/usr/local/subversion/repos/trunk' doesn't
exist

no luck

I can checkout using the file:/// protocol from the command line so I
have installed correctly.

I'm stuck.  Please nudge me.
thanks,
Phil

Re: Installation problem on svn 1.2.3

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 20, 2005, at 19:43, phil campaigne wrote:

> I'll focus on getting the svn protocol right.  Here's what I tried:
>
> [phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svnserve -i
> ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )

svnserve -i is meant to be called by inetd, and won't work right if
you call it manually from the command-line like that. But svnserve -d
will.

Re: Installation problem on svn 1.2.3

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
phil campaigne <pc...@charter.net> wrote on 09/20/2005 01:43:22 PM:

> I have read ch 6 that you referenced but find that it assumes a lot of
> specific knowledge.  I have been using "svnserve", it was a typo in my
>
> I'll focus on getting the svn protocol right.  Here's what I tried:
>
> [phil@hardwoodthunder subversion]$ svnserve -i

You want something more like this:

svnserve -d /usr/local/subversion/repos

(This assumes the above path points to a repository)

Then you would access like this:

svn ls svn://localhost/

svn co svn://localhost/trunk

etc...

If you want multiple repositories, you start svnserve like this:

svnserve -d -r /usr/local/subversion/repos

(This assumes the above path is a folder which contains many repositories)

Then you would access like this:

svn ls svn://localhost/repos_name/

svn co svn://localhost/repos_name/trunk

Mark