Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by AuthNZ AuthNZ <au...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/11 23:03:18 UTC

Could not connect to SMTP host

I'm trying to setup JAMES as email server to serve "mydomain".  I have a
dynamic IP connection to internet.  My DNS Update utility updates changes to
IP address.

The JAMES server is connected behind D-Link Router (DI-624).

I'm able send email
a) from one user to another within "mydomain".
b) from a user outside to a user in "mydomain".

However, when a user in "mydomain" sends an email to outside user (for
example, useroutside@gmail.com or  useroutside@mycompany.com), the email
message is stored in "outgoing" folder and the "mailet" log shows error
below.
"Could not connect to SMTP host: <ip address of outside user email server>,
port: 25;
 nested exception is:
 java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect"

BTW, telnet to <ip address of outside user email server> on port 25 also
fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Could not connect to SMTP host

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
AuthNZ AuthNZ wrote:
> [...]
> However, when a user in "mydomain" sends an email to outside user (for
> example, useroutside@gmail.com or  useroutside@mycompany.com), the email
> message is stored in "outgoing" folder and the "mailet" log shows error
> below.
> "Could not connect to SMTP host: <ip address of outside user email server>,
> port: 25;
> nested exception is:
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect"
>
> BTW, telnet to <ip address of outside user email server> on port 25 also
> fails.
>
> Any ideas?

If telnet to port 25 fails then this is not a James issue. Maybe you
have a firewall or your network administrator (or your network provider)
block outgoing traffic for port 25.

Fix the telnet problem and James will start working!

Stefano