Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ahammad <ah...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/07 15:39:37 UTC

Help with installing Lucene

Hello,

I have a side project coming up which requires writing a search engine. I
came across Lucene but I'm having some problems figuring out how to install
it. I'm trying to get it to work on a Windows box.

On the Lucene website, there are two files: lucene-2.4.0-src.zip and
lucene-2.4.0.zip (with their asc files). What's the difference between those
two and which one do I need if I want to write the search engine?

Also, I am not familiar with the asc file and I'm not sure if those commands
that are on the site can be used in the command line in Windows. I know
about Lucene in Action and I'm still in the process of getting it.

I have a decent amount of experience with software development, but I've
never started a full project from scratch...I usually code modules and
things like that, and another developer takes care of the rest. This is
probably why I'm having a hard time with this.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Help with installing Lucene

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Please start a new topic when changing subjects. See:

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack<http://people.apache.org/%7Ehossman/#threadhijack>
Thread Hijacking on Mailing Lists

When starting a new discussion on a mailing list, please do not reply to
an existing message, instead start a fresh email.  Even if you change the
subject line of your email, other mail headers still track which thread
you replied to and your question is "hidden" in that thread and gets less
attention.   It makes following discussions in the mailing list archives
particularly difficult.
See Also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi there,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM, ahammad <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a side project coming up which requires writing a search engine. I
> came across Lucene but I'm having some problems figuring out how to install
> it. I'm trying to get it to work on a Windows box.
>
> On the Lucene website, there are two files: lucene-2.4.0-src.zip and
> lucene-2.4.0.zip (with their asc files). What's the difference between those
> two and which one do I need if I want to write the search engine?
The ucene-2.4.0.zip contains the binary distribution of lucene while
ucene-2.4.0-src.zip contains the source files etc.
If you wanna build lucene yourself you need the source distribution,
otherwise the binary is fine for you.
Include the jar files in you project / classpath and start playing
around with it.
These links should give you a good start...
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/gettingstarted.html
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/demo.html

> Also, I am not familiar with the asc file and I'm not sure if those commands
> that are on the site can be used in the command line in Windows. I know
> about Lucene in Action and I'm still in the process of getting it.
The asc files are signature files, you can use them to verify the
downloaded files using the GNU Privacy Guard (GPG). Check GPG if you
are curious.

happy coding...

simon

Posted by Glen Newton <gl...@gmail.com>.
> I'm not sure if it's a better idea to use something like Solr or start from
> scratch and customize the application as I move forward. What do you think

LuSql might be appropriate for your needs:
"LuSql is a high-performance, simple tool for indexing data held in a
DBMS into a Lucene index. It can use any JDBC-aware SQL database."
http://lab.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cistilabswiki/index.php/LuSql

Disclaimer: I am the author of LuSql.

-Glen

-

Re: Help with installing Lucene

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:42 PM, ahammad wrote:

> Greg Shackles wrote:
>>

>> Depending on what you need, there might be something already built
>> that
>> can
>> do what you want.  I can't look up links right now but you might
>> want to
>> look into Solr and see if that works for what you want.  Otherwise, I
>> think
>> there are code samples and whatnot on the Lucene site to help get you
>> started writing your own application.  It's very easy to use : )
>>
>> - Greg
>>

> Essentially, we have a database (can't recall if it is Oracle or
> MSSQL) that
> contains a bunch of articles. There is a website with search
> functionality
> that allows the user to retrieve those articles and display them on
> the
> page. Essentially it's like a Wikipedia type website. If it's
> relevant, I'll
> see if I can get the existing architecture that we currently use.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a better idea to use something like Solr or
> start from
> scratch and customize the application as I move forward. What do you
> think?

I probably would start with Solr and use the DataImportHandler.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: Help with installing Lucene

Posted by ahammad <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Shackles <gs...@gmail.com>.
You don't really "install" it as it is not its own standalone application.
You write the software that interfaces with the Lucene API.  The src zip you
mentioned has all the Lucene source, so you can use that if you want to
compile the library yourself.  If you want to use the precompiled binary of
it (easiest method), just grab the JAR from the other zip.

Depending on what you need, there might be something already built that can
do what you want.  I can't look up links right now but you might want to
look into Solr and see if that works for what you want.  Otherwise, I think
there are code samples and whatnot on the Lucene site to help get you
started writing your own application.  It's very easy to use : )

Also, this list is the right place to go if you do your development in
Java.  And this list is great for getting help if you get stuck or need
advice!

- Greg

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
See the other's comments, but do be aware that there are many
valuable additions to Lucene in the contrib area, but to use them
you need to include the particular jar from contrib that you want
in your CLASSPATH. That is, the contrib contributions do NOT
reside in the lucene jar, they are separate jars and need to
be treated like any other jar file to be used.

Best
Erick