Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Masakazu Kitajo <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/05/31 04:03:02 UTC

Quiche for QUIC

Hi all,

At the ATS Summit last week, the participants reached an agreement that we
should use an external library, Quiche, to support QUIC. I'd like to share
the reasons and make a formal (but lazy) consensus here on this list.

Main reasons to use Quiche:
- We don't have enough resource to implement QUIC protocol by ourselves
right now
- Quiche is actively maintained and used by big players, and it has a large
community
- Instant QUIC support by using an external library is good for making ATS
competitive

What we do:
- Make a feature branch for Quiche support
- Keep our existing QUIC implementation so we can switch back to it in the
future in case we need more flexibility
- Use our existing HTTP/3 implementation over the new QUIC implementation
- Keep Quiche source code out of our repository (use Quiche like
OpenSSL/BoringSSL)

I already have code that handles 100 multiplexed HTTP/3 requests with
Quiche. I'm going to share the code on a feature branch and restart working
on QUIC support if there are no objections or concerns raised.

Thanks,
Masakazu