Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by om...@agilent.com on 2009/04/23 18:53:32 UTC

Write-proxy and Proppatch shenanigans

Hello, all.
    I'm trying to get write-proxying working with Subversion 1.5, and I feel frustratingly close to succeeding. The problem is that I keep getting a commit failure whenever I try to commit from a working directory that's pointing to the mirror which looks like this:

$ svn commit -m "once more"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
svn: Error setting property 'log':
Could not execute PROPPATCH.

Switching that directory from the mirror to the master and then running the commit works fine, and when I switch back I find the changes have, as advertised, been synced to the mirror just fine, I just can't seem to send in the commit from the mirror itself.

I have the error logs from the master's webserver here:

[Thu Apr 23 11:25:21 2009] [error] [client 156.141.105.190] Could not execute PROPPATCH.  [500, #206]
[Thu Apr 23 11:25:21 2009] [error] [client 156.141.105.190] Properties may only be defined in the http://subversion.tigris.org/xmlns/svn/ and http://subversion.tigris.org/xmlns/custom/ namespaces.  [409, #0]

The local subversion and the mirror are both at version 1.5.6 with apache 2.2.8, while the master's subversion version is 1.5.1 with apache sitting at version 2.0.52. The Subversion manual says I need apache 2.2 or greater for this to work, but I assume they mean only for the mirror, since it's the one that's doing the proxying. That is, however, the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem, though I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Has anyone gotten write-through proxying to work correctly, and can anyone confirm if my suspicious about the webserver are correct?

--
Omar Zakaria
Agilent Technologies

RE: Write-proxy and Proppatch shenanigans

Posted by om...@agilent.com.

An update: I installed apache 2.2.8 as the master's webserver and I still get the same problem. I'm now out of ideas as to what the problem might be. I'd appreciate any insight anyone can provide into the matter.

--
Omar Zakaria

Re: Write-proxy and Proppatch shenanigans

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/22 Henry G <he...@hcn.com.au>

> hi Omar,
>
> Have you resolved this issue?
>
> I got exactly the same error and I am using SVN 1.5.6 and Apache 2.2.3
>
> Thanks
> Henry
>
> > Hello, all.
> >     I'm trying to get write-proxying working with Subversion 1.5, and I
> feel frustratingly close to succeeding. The problem is that I keep getting a
> commit failure whenever I try to commit from a working directory that's
> pointing to the mirror which looks like this:
> >
> > $ svn commit -m "once more"
> > svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> > svn: At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
> > svn: Error setting property 'log':
> > Could not execute PROPPATCH.
> >
> > Switching that directory from the mirror to the master and then running
> the commit works fine, and when I switch back I find the changes have, as
> advertised, been synced to the mirror just fine, I just can't seem to send
> in the commit from the mirror itself.
> >
> > I have the error logs from the master's webserver here:
> >
> > [Thu Apr 23 11:25:21 2009] [error] [client 156.141.105.190] Could not
> execute PROPPATCH.  [500, #206]
> > [Thu Apr 23 11:25:21 2009] [error] [client 156.141.105.190] Properties
> may only be defined in the http://subversion.tigris.org/xmlns/svn/ and
> http://subversion.tigris.org/xmlns/custom/ namespaces.  [409, #0]
> >
> > The local subversion and the mirror are both at version 1.5.6 with apache
> 2.2.8, while the master's subversion version is 1.5.1 with apache sitting at
> version 2.0.52. The Subversion manual says I need apache 2.2 or greater for
> this to work, but I assume they mean only for the mirror, since it's the one
> that's doing the proxying. That is, however, the only thing I can think of
> that might be causing the problem, though I'd appreciate any other ideas.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten write-through proxying to work correctly, and can
> anyone confirm if my suspicious about the webserver are correct?
> >
> > --
> > Omar Zakaria
> > Agilent Technologies
> > W: 707-577-4214

I have got write-through working with svn 1.5.6 and apache 2.2.3 but only
when I do not use https....

as we must use https for our transport I have since lost the working config
trying to get write-through to work with https...

I am hopeful that this might work when I do a big fat upgrade on the server
to the latest bleeding edge or at least svn 1.6.x ;-)

-Stephen

P.S. Try to avoid top-posting on this list

RE: Write-proxy and Proppatch shenanigans

Posted by Henry G <he...@hcn.com.au>.
hi Omar,